Thicken dip bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by brinley45cal, Sep 25, 2007.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    my dip bait has gotten thin where its been out in the heat,is there anything i can add to make it thicker?

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For dip bait, I'd think you'd want to add something sticky; syrup, cheese, skipjack oil, etc.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Throw some cattails in it and it will dry it up some and thicken it. Thats what we use in Danny Kings punch bait.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Jtrew. I have also added corn meal and peanut butter. If you are out in the boat and have nothing to add. Place it back on ice. It will thicken back up.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks guys that was a big help.I guess its time to experament

7. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I'm for the cattail approach myself it help to stay on that bare treble hook better. It's what makes DK so good. You can also use cotton it has fibers like cattails.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I agree that cattails will make the bait stay on the bare treble hook better, but by definition, that's 'punch bait'; 'dip bait' is much thinner, and is designed to either soak into a sponge or stick onto the outside of a short plastic worm (usually ribbed to better hold the bait).

9. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Corn Starch is my prefered way a little goes a long ways. Flour,Corm Meal,Jiffy Mix,and in pinch plain old dirt.
    Loop

10. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If I was wanting to thicken dip bait,I would use peanut butter. It's sticky and has oil in it and it makes a good thickener.