They we really biting this morning

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by deepwoods, Apr 4, 2009.

1. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I finally caught a fish worthy of putting on as my avatar. I went out this morning on LKN and fished Stumpy creek. I picked up 5 blues and 2 flatheads. The big one in my picture was 42 pounds, the biggest cat I have caught at Norman. I did not have a scale so I flagged a boat over and they had one and took the picture.

I used perch fillets as bait. When I got home I dropped a sabiki rig off my boat that was baited with worms, set the rod in the holder and started to clean up. 5 minutes later a 17 pound blue hit it. It was a great morning.

Attached Files:

2. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    Congrats! Nice fish!!:big_smile:

3. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    hi jeff ,did you catch your blues anchored,or were you drift fishing,and how deep were they suspended,and in how much water,im keeping records on lake norman,and would appreciate the imfo.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    That is a really nice flathead!! :eek:oooh: Awesome fish! Fish of a lifetime there brother!! :wink:

5. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Larry here are the facts. First of all I did not give much of a fishing report. As soon as I got home I had to get my son to baseball so I was hurried. It was not Stumpy Creek it was Rocky Creek, I fish them both alot. I was slow trolling in about 30 feet of water working the North bank. The water temp was 58 degrees and I caught all fish on perch strips. What is interesting was I had a big gizzard shad I cut in strips I was dragging and I did not have a single bit on it. Perch was the key this morning. The water was pretty clear considering how much rain we have had this week. The funny thing is I set out this morning to striper fish, I set out a line deep and picked up two cats...no stripers. So I changed equipement and catfished the rest of the morning. I will be back out there tomorrow.

Jeff

6. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    great looking fish, i guess i need to breakdown and give norman a try, i live just 30 min. away but have never give it a second look :embarassed:. i might come down that way this up coming week, again awesome fish , congrats

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That is awesome man! I always enjoy seeing pictures of big old flatheads:wink: Congratulations.

8. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Awesome job! Glad you caught one and got some good pics!

9. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    thanks for the imfo jeff it is greatly appreciated

10. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Congratulations on a very nice Norman flattie!

11. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I keep hearing good things about Lake Norman....I might have to take a road trip this summer.

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Ivan, let us know when you are coming and several of us will try to put you on some cats. But, old Norman can humble you in a heart beat. It has done it to the best of the best. Do I hear an Amen to that brothers. :crazy:

13. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Amen, amen, amen. It's beat me before and it will probably do it again. That lake will win more times than not, but it's still a good one. Badin is the same way. Chance at a big fish or a zero and she hands out seroes pretty often.

14. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jeff did you make it back out the next day? The flatheads where still biting ahead of this cold front. I managed to catch five before the rain stopped and only one 15lb blue after. One was the 38lb fish in my avatar. I caught them along the main channel near the state park on cut gizzard shad and live perch in 20' of water. Funny thing is most of my best fish have come while raining. They are calling for rain most of next week and I'll be on a week layoff and intend to hit them hard. Maybe I'll see you if you are out.

15. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I fished Sunday morning. I went back to Rocky Creek. I caught six, 5 to 12 pounders 4 were flatheads. I did have something interesting happen. I went across the spot where I caught the big one and sure enough I hooked into something big. I had the hook set and boom the leader broke. I did not change or check the leader from the day before. I am certain it was not a snag. It took a hard left.

It was on the east side of the bay past the first green marker sign. 90 degrees from the inlet. It is an intersection of the channel and the line that goes to the inlet past the bay in about 30 feet. I threw the fish back in close to the main channel a good mile or two from this spot so I doubt it was the same fish.

The spot you were fishing I go to at night. The area just to the south of the island (power line tower) there is nice hole that holds stripers and cats. I need to try to get closer to the channel. If you have a LKN map look for the old dam that is submerged in the same area. All good spots.
    The problem with the area is the jug fishermen seem to over fish the area. I do not seem to have much luck in the summer in the area and if I do it is usually flatheads not blues.

I was wondering if anyone has fished the flooded timber areas that are in the big cove next to the steam plant. It would be difficult to slow troll, way too much stuff in the water. I would guess it would be full of crappie and flatheads.

We definitly fish the same neighborhood, if you see a 17 foot Carolina Skiff give me a wave.

Jeff