They took my dogs!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by richard dunbar, Aug 8, 2007.

1. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I just got a message from my daughter that animal control just came and took my 3 dogs. And I'm stuck here in Iraq and can't do a thing about it. Heres what happened. My nieghbor keeps there garbage can on the edge of my property. I never said anything because it was'nt causing any harm. Once in awhile my dog gets off the leash and runs around the yard playin with his bowl etc. She brings her garbage out, he see's her and runs toward her (in my yard) but stops and only barks at her. She calls the police and they show up and go in my yard and the dog charges them and stops about 2 ft away from them and barks and growls or so they said, because if I have a dog charging me I aint gonna let it get 2 ft away before I put a bullet in it especially the size of that dog They did'nt even draw there weapons. So they give my wife a ticket and tell her if the dog gets off again they will take the dog (singular) So this time my little dog that don't stand but maybe a ft and a half gets off the leash and runs around a bit. The police and animal control show up and take all the dogs siting they're vicous when they never bit anyone or fought with any animals ever. Now normally I would be home to handle such affairs but unfortunatly I'm stuck in the god forsaken hell hole known as Iraq and My wife is home 7 months pregnant working full time and tending to my other 3 children. You know there used to be a certain compassion and understanding in the community when it came to deployed soldiers and there spouses. But it seems like now no one really gives a hoot. What kind of communist state have we become when no one cares about the possible undo mental stress put on our families and the soldiers in harms way!

2. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    wish there was something i could do to help. hope everything works out in the end. Semper Fi

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Bad neighbor! Bad! Just try an cowboy up Bro. Semper Fi.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Richard - That really sucks! Just what you need as if being stuck in hell ain't bad enough! I hope your able to get your canines back! Take care over there bro!

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    In all honesty I have to say one thing. Did ya really need to hear about this? I'm sorry if I'm hittin a nerve and I understand your pain. I believe this is one I would have kept from ya. No need to magnify your anxiety and troubles while you are in the situation ya are in. Hope all works out for ya.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Jeeze what some people will do!
    Bill

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I understand your anger but I guess you really need to simmer down.You are in a bad enough place,you need to keep your head on safe and sound.I love my dogs also but your life is way more important.Just stay safe,get done what needs doin and please come home safe and sound. I'll be praying for your safe return!~~~~~~~~Sister Pat:big_smile:

8. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I have to agree with sister Pat on this one. :big_smile:

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Dang Rich I am sorry to hear about this bro. Were the dogs here in Georgia or not if they were I may know someone who could help you? Get back to me ASAP.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Rich I hate that this kind of issue has distracted you while you are in Iraq.However I would like to make a few comments to address some points you bring up.I dont know what the dog under control laws are in your area.I do know its your responsibility to make sure they are under control ON and OFF your property.If they have to be on a leash, by your own admission they have gotton off a number of times.Your neighbor has no way of knowing nor do the police for that matter that "He stops 2 ft away".As you say you wouldnt let a dog that size get that close without shooting it.If you are not in compliance with the local control laws, you would be liable for any thing your dogs did. Secondly you can write to the local law enforcement agency and state your case as a serving soldier in Iraq and I am sure they will respond in kind.You say there "Used to be compassion and understanding when it comes to deployed soldiers and their spouses but now it seems that no one gives a hoot.I am telling you straight up that you are insulting the American people when you say that, not to mention the many on here that have gone out of their way to support the troops including packages paid for out of their own pocket.There has never been a love affair between the people and the troops as there is now.My son currently is in Baghdad and he tells me they cant even open all the packages letters and e-mails they get.Every sporting event ceremony or anything going on in this country by any celebrity starts with thanks to our troops or prayers for our troops.I have seen the biggest egos in sports say out loud that what they do is NOTHING compared to what you are doing.I know you are mad at what happened but dont let that make you say things which arent true.You already have an offer to help in this thread.DON"T ever say we have become communists for any reason My dad fought in WWll,Korea and I fought in Vietnam and my son is in Iraq right now.We served as so many millions of Americans served to prevent the communists from coming here or in other countries.You are angry because of this situation but that gives you no right to insult everybody.Calm down and write to the agency.State your case as a serving soldier.I 'm sure a reasonable solution can be reached but it may mean your dogs cant get off the leash again.Stay focused on the job at hand,dont be distracted.We want you back safe and sound.:smile2:

11. richard dunbar

State:
    Washington
    Simmer down, I dont think so. Next to my family those dogs are my life, even more than fishing. What I need is to write my congressman and then check the city statutes and look into sueing the city. Remember what I wrote. The cop said in the 1st incedent the dog charged her poised to attack yet she said she did,nt draw her weapon. If you know the size of my dog and he was infact charging she would of pissed herself and dropped the dog about 10 ft out or farther cause she would have been that scared. To say he charged her and she did'nt pull her weapon just tells me that he barked at her from a distance and she lied about what happened! And the second incedent a week later was with my small dog that wieghs maybe 15 lbs soaking wet and runs from every stranger she see's. The nieghbors know the mayor and a couple other people from the city and I garentee thats why my dogs were taken. Stricly because these people have influence on the city. Now I don't know how many of you are from small towns but if you are you know exactly what I'm talking about. Its a load of bull and should'nt be tolorated!

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Man thats a bad deal Rich, sorry to hear about this. There has to be a city ordinace and you need to have your wife call city hall to find out what exactly it is and exactly what they did to be in violation of it. Gotta be tuff stuck over there and have this out of your control. Let your wife handle it for now. If they say your in violation of the ordinace you will surely have a chance to present your case in court. There view point is to protect citizens from a vicious animal and thats a good thing. Sounds like yours arent and your wife needs to present evidence to that. I hope you can get them back and if you do have her get someone to put up a Good chain link fence or kennel. Be safe over there and I hope every thing works out ok.

Hopefully Jerseycat can help you also.

13. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Aww Richard, I can't believe your neighbor would do something like that. I would make dang sure the trash is moved elsewhere. I wish I was closer to your home to help. Looks like when I was in the service we was just crap to some people.
    Good Luck and stay safe as you can.
    Bill

14. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sounds 2 me like the dog should have bit them. the dogs are on your property to protect it as well as your kids and wife. that is one of the dogs jod is it not? u had every right to be mad but dont let it mess ur head up u do have more importent things to worry about, like ur self. be safe take care and when YOU DO get ur dogs back tell good jod cause they was just doing ther job once they came on ur property.

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wasn't there, and can't make a judgement based on what I've read here, but I am very sorry you lost your dogs. I hope you are able to get them back. There should be a hearing to decide if the dogs really do constitute a threat to the public. I suggest your wife be there despite her pregnancy, and schedule. Hundreds of dogs every day are seized, and euthanized based on their breed alone, and without a prior incident. Our small town tried to impose this type of ordinance. We fought it and won. Make sure you get in touch with the Mayor, and the police, and stay on them. Make sure they know you will retaliate legally if they have broken the law.

16. richard dunbar

State:
    Washington
    The bottom line is MY dogs were IN MY YARD behind MY fence doin the job they are supossed to do while I'm away. And the fact that people came in my yard unsolicited, got barked at NOT atacked and they had the nerve to deem my dogs vicious when only one of them is considered a vicious breed and by the way was'nt involved in either incedent I think gives me the right to be as mad as I want to be. They already told my wife they were putting my dogs down, NO HEARING, NO COURT DATE other than the one to determain the fines. So What your telling me is if someone entered your FENCED yard and took you pets you would be fine with it. I really don't think so. And I to have family members that fought in all those wars and those who are fortunate to still be with us have pretty much the same view as me. Most of them marines and 1 navy.

17. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Hi Rich:

This may sound PATHETIC, but (possibly) E-mailing a link to this THREAD to your mayor might'nt be a bad idea as I'm quite SURE you'll have a lot of response to it.

It'll be a start as to how much support you have.

Just a thought!!

18. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Semper-fi rother. I'm startin to get riled here. LETS ROLL!!!

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You need to have her call a lawyer, as in Now to insist on a hearing before they can put them down.

20. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Keep in mind most Animal Control Officers are antis. I'd be curious as if they knew you're a sportsman, if so, this may be no more than a form of harassment from the ACO usng his/her position to further "their" cause.

The Mrs should have been left copies of citations, which are either accurate or fabricated. If true, suck-it up, pay the fines, and prevent it from happening again. If they're fabricated, lawyer-up, sue someone, and be sure & tell them "thanks" for the crap while you're defending their country.........

When you get home, throw the biggest/loudest party you ever had.....and point the speakers towards your neighbors house. Last 2 words I'll close with ..... "skunk essence"..........

Smitty