They know when you are going to kill them.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Jun 25, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have read and contributed to and/or observed many threads here. Quite a number of pet lovers, owners or animal naturalists. Hog hunting, turkey hunting, fishing of all species, upland birds, deer, turtles, small game, waterfowl, trapping. You, including me, are either watching them, living with them or killing them.

I have seen that there are many dog owners here who have them as pets or working dogs. I have been around animals all my life, as an owner or as a professional trained to care for them. I love animals and did a good job of caring for them. When and how I grew up an animal was either for 1. Something you cared for and sold. 2. Something you cared for and they worked for you. 3. Something you cared for and then ate. I became a Veterinarian and they became what the owner wanted them to be.

I have cared for many animals. The ones I enjoyed most were dogs. The observations I will relate to you are mine. I saw them the way I did. Not all people, especially Veterinarians, will agree with me and that's fine. If you observe them closely, and watch them when you know they don't know you are looking at them they have the most amazing personalities. I have been responsible for killing many of them in over 20 years in the Veterinary business, because that's what the owner wanted. There were 3 types of dogs I euthanized, (fancy word for killed).

One. The Good Dog:
    These were the easy, tough ones. I usually had known them for a long time, caring for their problems as they acquired them. Hit by Car, skin problems, kidneys, diabetes, liver, cancer, or plain old age. All the things we go through. They were owned by conscientious caring people. The people gave and the dog gave back. These dogs knew their owners and when their time had come they had a graciousness about dying that was amazing. They almost apologized for putting their owner through the process. I could always put these animals to sleep by looking in their eyes. In fact I owed it to them to do so. They all knew I was going to kill them, and they knew why.

Two. The Crazies:
    These dogs deserved to die. Not necessarily because it was their fault. Most of the time it was ignorant, stupid breeders looking for a buck, or even more ignorant, stupid owners who had created them deliberately or didn't have the intelligence to care for them, or any animal properly. I have seen these types tear up 3 yr old kids, 80 year old Grandmas, the mailman, their owners. The problem here was that the dog was not comfortable with who he was. He knew he was psycho, and he couldn't control it. I had no problem killing these dogs, and I would look them in the eye as I did it. They knew I was killing them as they tried to take my face off, and they knew why I was.

Three: The Ones with no Vote:
    This is the category that sometimes causes me to lose sleep. These were usually your run of the mill normal natural, just a dog type character. They had been acquired on a whim. "Let's get a dog for little Susie. She needs a companion. Dad, can I have a dog, Pete down the street got a new one.
    Wasn't that a good dog show on T.V., let's get one just like that." Then came the tragedy-"We are getting new rugs and I don't want dog hair. We are moving to California and we don't have room for the dog. Little Susie has a new boyfriend and I don't want to feed the dog any more." This is where I came in. These people I had very little truck with. I usually made them stay in the room when I did it. The problem here was I couldn't look the dog in the eye. If my assistant could turn their heads she would. They knew I was killing them and I couldn't tell them why.

Postbeetle

2. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Thanks for sharing. The last one gets to me too. :angry:

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Thanks For Sharing. I Have Had To Put Down Several pets That I've Owned due to either disease or being hurt. I always gave these animals the same respect that I would a Human Being, even in time of death I saw to it to be with them through the final process.

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    John, THANK YOU for posting this! I cannot agree with you more!

I have been both the assistant for veterinarians like you and the killer in the shelter. In one year alone, I killed over 4,000 animals by injection, in Columbus, GA and we were not the county shelter. I have been asked how I could possibly love them and rescue them and then kill them. I have been told that there is no way in hell I can truly love them and then kill them!

This is an article I wrote and posted one time in rebuttal to a public outrage over euthanasia:

As some of you know, I have personally euthanized (injected) thousands of animals while working as a shelter vet tech/euthanasia tech. I can totally relate to the following newspaper story included below(Article not included here on the BOC). I am passing this article on in hopes of helping to educate people in general.
    It is a fact that euthanasia is VERY emotionally draining to those who have to perform the task. And it is a fact that those doing euthanasia are often stigmatized, being called cold hearted killers, murderers, heartless, etc. In most cases, nothing could be further from the truth! Unless someone has "walked in our shoes", they cannot begin to know what it is like. I used to go home at night crying and angry, after having to euthanize countless numbers of innocent, healthy animals that irresponsible pet owners brought in. These animals were sentenced to death because there were no homes and the owners didn't care enough to spay or neuter.
    The hardest part of all for me, was the litters of puppies and kittens. Litters consisting of 6, 8, 10 babies each, being brought in day after day and the shelter only having room for 2, or on a "good" day, maybe 3 or 4 from each litter. I had to choose which lived and which died and I would go home at night and always think about how unfair it was that I had to play "God" and make the decision of life and death. How I wished there was some way to make the owners choose which lived and which died!
    To this day it sickens me that irresponsible owners can walk into a shelter with a litter and act as though they are doing you a favor. And, just as bad, walk in and surrender a pet they own and not be honest as to why they are giving it up. Most owners don't even bother to tell the shelter the pet's name. I still don't understand how they choose to surrender these animals and then be one of the first to condemn someone that kindly euthanizes those same animals, not because we want to do it, but because those irresponsible owners force us to have to do it....
    To those of you that cringe at the thought of euthanasia, trust me, there are often things worse than death for many of these animals. Cruelty, abuse, neglect, sickness, starvation, to name a few. I used to want to keep as many alive as I could. Now my priority is the quality of life for the ones I can help save, not the numbers I can save.
    There are still times that I have to take a rescued animal in to be euthanized and am asked "How can you do that?" I can do it because of my LOVE for the animals. I know that animal will never again suffer or want for anything. Most importantly, I can sleep that night knowing that I was with that animal at the very end, holding it, loving it, and quietly talking to it as the tears streamed down my face, while it took its last breath. I know it didn't die alone, unloved, unwanted and most of all that animal KNEW I WAS THERE and THAT at least I LOVED IT .... Where was its owner or where were you that call names and point fingers????

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Last November I had to put my dog down. He was 11 1/2.. His mind was still a puppy, his body just wasn't. Sure was a hard thing to do.. Me and the wife held him as he slipped away.. I balled like a baby, wife balled, vet balled, assistant balled... Vet had taken care of him since he was born. At least twice a year for shots, checkup, etc. Usually was in there more than that due to skin irritations, or something else going on etc.. Nothing ever major..

A caring vet makes all the difference.. My vet paid for the euthanization, The cremation fees and didn't charge me a penny for any of it.
    She called us 3 days later to see how we were doing. A week later, we received a package with a letter and card from the Vet and all the assistants that worked there. Everyone had included a story of our dog when he was there. When they kept him when we had his teeth done (they had to make em sleep to clean his teeth, so they kept him for observation), various times he was in there, Stories of when he was a puppy etc.. The funeral home where he was cremated sent us a letter and certificate about a Donation made in his name to a charitable organization, requested by my vet... My dog was a Pit Bull and he was NOTHING like whats reported in the media ad nausea. Thanks for the post and I'd agree with your observations

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We had a cocker spainiel that was too much for us and we thought about option #3, but thought against it, we ended up finding her a good home out in the country where she could burn off all of her excess energy, making that choice hurt because the kids really liked the dog, but I knew that it was the best for her.

Aaron

TA2D

7. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I also have had many dogs put down for health and age reasons. I'm glad that there are people in this world that CAN LOVE and euthinize. I have given up dogs to a shelter when I couldn't find them homes, I cried for days, and still wonder if they got good homes years later. Now that I am older, Matt has to keep me in line cause I would live in a zoo. I have always been the one who wants to save them all, now I am more like save a few, give em a quality life, and try to talk everyone I meet into spaying or neutering. My dream is to own a no kill shelter someday. I am sure that it will be filled with pitbulls that people, who shouldn't have owned them in the first place, gave up.
    Please everyone reading this, do your homework about a dog BEFORE you bring one home. Some need alot of exercise, some have high vet bills, some eat alot, etc. Make sure you can provide what they need before you choose a breed.

8. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    John:

I've never had a dog in my life so I wouldn't even begin to know how to look after one. I can see that you're a conscientious man when it comes to the subject so I give you my word here and now that I'll NEVER get one, ok? I'll stick with cats.

Hope this buys you a few extra minutes of sleep.

Tight Lines & good Luck.

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    All animals deserve the same respect and compassion from human animals.....

10. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    a few years ago I had to put Jake my golden retriver down due to cancer. Jake and i were hunting partners for 10 years, He would do anything for me, When we found out he had cancer it was my turn to take care of him and i did so for 6 months. I did everything to make him feel all the love that he gave me twice fold back.

When the day came my daughter, son and i put on our waterfowl jackets and took him to the vet, He knew it was time as so did i, we stayed with him comforting him during the time, to this day i still can see his eyes looking back at me as if to say thanks,

As we left i put his collar and choker in my waterfowl jacket. A few weeks later my bud took me out duckhunting and after setting up the decoys i put my parker back on and felt something in the pocket i reached in and pulled out jakes collar, and it hit me it took all the air out of me and almost stopped my heart, i had to leave the blind and take a long walk in the dark it was almost a hour before i was able to breath right.

Jake was creamated and when i die i will be creamated and in my will it is stated that both our ashes are to be spreaded over the lake we use to hunt on.

I now have 3 dogs another golden sandow, a golden lab mix blake. and a lab bluehealer mix psyco dog zeak, all are value members of my family loved by all of us. Just wanted to share this with you all. jeff

11. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Thanks John for posting. Always nice read your stories. I have loved, cared for dogs as well as killed one. Your story rings true on alot of levels. Glad you shared it.

12. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Excellent thread John, thank you for sharing!!! Im outta pixie dust, have ta rep ya later!!

13. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Thanks for the post. I had to put my hunting dog Gunner down last oct. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I knew he was in pain ( his heart was 10 times bigger than normal due to congestive heart). We gave him pills 2 times a day for 2 years, but he just could not even stand anymore. It makes me wonder how the people in the 3rd choice can sleep at night. You have to have more respect for life than that.

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Dear John (postbeetle),
    This won't be your typical dear John letter, and I would assume everybody knows why. You have touched my heart once again, bro. I've never had to put a dog down as of yet, but it may be coming. As I've said before, my golden Blossom will be 14 on September 6th. And she's had her fair share of health problems over the years.....but anyhow.....that option #3 (or CHOICE, 'cause that isn't an OPTION in MY book) just SUCKS. I think Sheila (Kat-tamer) had some wise words of advice on that matter. You shouldn't go into ANYTHING blindly.

Also, I think most of the veteranarians of the world would totally agree with you, at least the ones I know. You summed it up rather well as usual. I could feel your pain upon the unnecessary deaths. Keep writing buddy, and we will keep reading.

Barb and I have talked countless numbers of times about this very thing. As you can see, she really GETS it. I LOVE my animals and will do anything humanly possible to see that their lives are happy and pain-free. But Barb, and you, have seen this from the standpoint most of us have not.

And the truth is, no matter HOW warranted it is, or HOW much you know that it's the best thing to prevent more suffering....you're still gonna feel BAD. I felt guilty, even though I knew that WAS what I was doing, for months afterwards with the two felines I've had to euthanize. I dealt with it by writing - stories about them, for children. I call 'em "The Adventures of Smiley and Pinks". Boy, they were some special cats, I must say. Pinks taught herself to use the commode, and Smiley was the best hunter anybody ever saw. Like Tim and his dog, when Smiles drew his last breath, everybody in there was in tears. Prolly 'cause I was a basket case too at the time. You've gotta appreciate those vets/vet techs. I know they were SO busy when all this was goin' on, but they still spent an hour with me and Smiley.

15. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks john,dogs I love em

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm glad you and others said they were with them till they dreww their last breath. I was determined to be with my little Thaddeus and I was.I shall never forget for the rest of my life that he wagged his tail at me just before he drew his last breath. I still grieve for him and it was last year when it was done.Sometimes,I don't think I will ever get over having to give him up. As for Bear my Blueheeler, I got the pet cage for him and I had him neutered.Now if I can just get him to stop pooing in the house.He is definitely all pup but the dog was same as dumped in my lap so now I'm doing the best I can to do right by him.John,even though it made me cry I thank you for posting this story!! Reps to ya buddy!!:sad2:

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My wife and I have always had dogs. They become part of our family. We have had to put them down for age. Each time we go thru that we say NO MORE pets. I now have a blind beagle (blind at birth) and a boxer. The love a dog gives is uncondictional. (sp) I am glad there are people who can do the right thing for the animals. It is something I could never do!
    Bill

18. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know what you are talking about , I had a working dog named Bingo that help work cow, was a good family dog , love children, and my best friend. He lived to be 14 years old , the old feller got to were he could not get up,and would not eat or drink , one morning I carryed him to the vet and had him put down. Ask the vet was there any other way of helping him , the answer no. So holding him the vet put him down. I liked to have died myself, brought my dog back home and buried him in my back yard with his blanket and toy, marked the grave with a cross. It is still there today, that has been ten years ago.

19. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Dammit,John,
    Its only 8:30 a.m. here,and after reading this post off and on all morning,I feel like I need to run to the store and buy a bottle.Still can't feel comfortable about having my 14 year old dog put down 7 years ago due to cancer.
    Wifes dog died in our bed the night before I was to take her to the same fate,10 years before.

I know it was the humane thing to do,but it still don't feel right.Guess dead is dead,its all about we handle it....:0a15:

20. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Powerful stuff Beetle.
    I have only euthanized one animal; a stray cat that came to me one day in the barn skinny and hungry but very affectionate.
    We took her to the vet to get her checked out before we let her have contact with the other six we have adopted. She had feline AIDS and the vet advised that we put her to sleep. I held her in my arms as she died. It was all I could do for her, that and know we had give her a good dinner and a warm bed to spend her last night...W