They don't work if you don't wear 'em..

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by blackwaterkatz, Apr 11, 2007.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    PFD's are like seat belts, once you get used to wearing them, don't feel right without.

3. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Never better spoken my friend, when I was young, ex marine and a certified diver I would have never considered wears a PFD...too macho.
    Now that I am more mature...not only older...but a lot smarter. I started boating in my teens and bought my first boat in the early sixties. Over the years I have had many vessels including a 38 foot wellcraft with radar gps and auto pilot. Every person that gets on one of my boats will wear PFDs
    no exceptions. I use the self inflating models for comfort...no excuse for not using them. I personaly have been involved in two water extractions and believe me you never want to see one. A neighbor and friend was fishing alone, he had a problem with low blood sugar, they found his boat
    twelve miles down lake still running...a week later he was found floating.
    I agree PFDs are a pain especialy the older ones, that were bulky kapon filled things that were hot and even harder to fish with. I support their use
    anytime while underway, but I believe they may taken off while anchored
    as long as someone is on the vessel with you. Be safe while boating, the life you save may be your own.