The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

I just got this for free. It's 7 foot medium action 8-15 lb line spinning rod. 2 eyes are slightly tweeked but I can straighten them and it needs cleaned. I've never used any shakespeare rods. Looks like it might make a good channel/ small blue rod. And it's going to need a shiny new reel too lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2

I actually have 2 reels left that aren't on anything but they're not great options lol. The old Durango and then the worst reel ever manufactured, the BP Bionic Plus 4000 that has so much gap under the skirt when the reels up it actually attracts debris, dirt, wind knots, old line laying on the ground, leaves ect. 馃榿 Worst purchase I've ever made EVER!

Registered
Never used a "Cat Stick" but would speculate it is likely an Ugly Stick rebranded. If so, I have used Ugly Sticks for years with good results. Seems the rod tips groove pretty quickly but when they do I replace them with quality aftermarket replacements, I have some that have to be 15 years old by now and still producing fish.

Registered
I've had a few Shakespeare rods over the years. None of them ever felt like a Loomis in my hand but I caught fish with them. Never had one break when it shouldn't have or felt I'd be catching more fish with a fancier rod.

I agree about that bionic, I bought one at the bps outlet for 10 bucks, I overpaid

Registered
^^This. You can find these on sale at WalMart at the end of the season for cheap as combos. In this case, cheap does not mean bad. Chuck the reel that comes with the combo, but the rods are fine. I have a few that are 10+ years old that I use for general fishing. Decent backbone and a fairly sensitive tip. For anything under 15lbs, your golden. Not that they won't handle bigger, but they work great for eater channel.

Registered
I was recently gifted 2 ugly stik catfish myself from a great guy. He was very generous to donate them to me. My wife was in need of a rod and reel and it came at the perfect time. They are 7' medium heavy in spinning I believe. My son has an 8' medium heavy in a casting and he loves it though he has a spinning reel on it and I can't get him to change...kids I tell ya...but we love the feel of them and hope to put them to good use

Registered
This is stupid. Not sure that rod would work for me! It's white, fishing rods should not be white and/or yellow I got one or two yellow rods and have never used either! Have no clue where I got them. Can't see myself paying for a white or yellow rod. Should get some dark spray paint and paint my yellow one's so they might be used a blt. Stupid huh!

Registered
Don I have a nephew who won't eat anything white, no mayo, no vanilla ice cream, no horseradish, if it's white he won't eat it. Maybe there's a group hahahaha

Registered
I only care about how a rod feels in my hand. It could be pink and I wouldn't care馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
This is stupid. Not sure that rod would work for me! It's white, fishing rods should not be white and/or yellow I got one or two yellow rods and have never used either! Have no clue where I got them. Can't see myself paying for a white or yellow rod. Should get some dark spray paint and paint my yellow one's so they might be used a blt. Stupid huh!
I will not fish with any red lures, no red soft plastics, no red hooks. Its bad luck. I'm being serious BTW. Learned that way back when I was really young.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to put a Shimano Sienna 4000 on the Catfish Stick. Its $29. I have a 3000 Sienna and it's a gem for 30 bucks. Thinking 15lb braid with a 30lb mono leader??? Feel free to chime in if you have a suggestion. Line too heavy or no? I mean free rod $30 dollar reel and $17 dollars worth of braid is exactly the price range I like lol.

Registered
Should be a nice channel cat / eater rod.

Shakespeare is one of the brands under Pure fishing.They have a plant at the Iowa Great Lakes. The have a lot of brands. Penn, Ugly sticks, Fenwick, abu, stren, spiderwire, pfluger, Berkeley. and a lot more.

Looks like it is an e glass rod like the ugly sticks. Should be a good rod. Shakespeare is the 鈥渃ommon鈥 brand that is placed to be affordable to everybody. I鈥檝e found the brand to be decent. Not high end and not junk.Reels can vary from really good to bad. Most are decent if you clean and lube them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts