Thermocline

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by lebeaux, Aug 29, 2007.

1. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thermocline is a big concern for impoundments this time of year. If you're dropping your baits to a certain depth and they keep coming up dead after a short while, that's most likely the issue. In deep water, you should take note of where bait fish are suspending. If you're not seeing any below a certain depth, that's probably where the thermocline is. Fish your baits above the noted depth. Or, just find shallow water where the thermocline is probably non existant. All the fish I've caught in impoundments as of late are in shallow water (about 6 ft or less). As the water cools, which it appears to be doing now, the lakes will "turn over" and the thermocline will disipate. For you river fisherman, this isn't a prob. Although temps do influance where you'll find flatties. A book I will recommend is " Critical concepts, catfish location" This is an In Fisherman publication. Very in depth info. For the novice, you may want to get a copy of "Critical concepts 1, catfish fundamentals" and if you're like me, you should read it often and try not to let your short term memory loss affect you info retention:wink: Using a good float rig also helps solve this issue. I've been having good luck between 3 and 4 ft. It also keeps your bait struggling, looking to get down and find a hiding place. Remember, please, PLEASE, keep a camera with you and release your fish (especially big ones) as soon as possible to ensure good stock in the future:wink: In Fisherman also puts out very good catfish dvds for a reasonable price, too. Good luck y'all!!

2. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason,
    It is people like you with your willingness to make us all better catters that makes this site the best. Thanks

3. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    jason you do any good at salt fork this weekend my buddy was talking to ya out there

jason i see you are from cambridge . where at. i live in cambridge also