Thermocline

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by weathermantrey, Jul 11, 2007.

1. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Does anybody have any luck fishing below the thermocline this time of year? I noticed it has setup where i've been fishing on lake hartwell at about 31 feet. This past weekend we didn't get a single bite on the deep side of the boat which would have been casted into 28 to 35 feet of water. All fish came from the shore side any anywhere from 5 to 25 feet of water. We had a good hole that had produced a nice flathead 3 trips in a row a few weeks ago. This hole was 31 or 32 feet deep. Now that the thermocline is so noticable we've fished this spot several times without catching a fish. I'm thinking any spot deeper than 30 feet may just be a waste of time. What are yalls feelings on the thermocline??

2. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    I also forgot to mention. We were catching our fish in the 32 feet deep spot on live bream. The past 2 weeks every time you reel in a bream while fishing this spot it's dead. So maybe flatheads are still there; the bream just aren't surviving long enough to get eaten?

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Trey ,its one sure way to confirm that the fish are above the thermocline.The oxygen levels below arent sufficient to support the fish although they might duck down there to grab a choice bait.What I do is find structure that coincides with the depth of the thermocline.If your live bait is coming up dead ,raise it above the TC as the fish might be suspended or concentrate on productive structure above that depth.:big_smile:

4. ARwhiteskin

ARwhiteskin New Member

State:
    Arkansas...by God!
    Man Trey, I was hoping them Carolina blues were gonna be easier to find. Lord knows yall have enough of em! Have you done any drift fishing through the areas that you know hold fish? I know what the thermocline is, and I know you have to fish in, or just above it, but thats about the limit of my "expertise" :smile2: If you figure em out, let me know. I can always use the help.

That sounds like good advice Jim. You sound like you know what your doin or somethin. :wink:

5. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    We mainly target flatheads where i fish this time of year. I can catch blues pretty consistently on lake hartwell up until the water gets around 80 degree's then they dissappear on me and i start hunting the flatheads. We still catch an occasional blue that's stupid enough to take my bait though.

We're going out tonight to give it a try. Maybe we'll run into some big fish:wink::big_smile:

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you truly have a thermocline in the lake you are fishing, then you will probably have limited success fishing below the thermocline since there is very little dissolved oxygen in the water in this area.

I am curious as to how you know there is a thermocline in water that is 32 feet deep or did I misunderstand what you wrote?

7. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    the thermocline itself is around 31 feet deep. I was fishing a spot that dropped down to 32 to 35 feet.

I'm pretty sure what i'm seeing on the graph is the thermocline. It hasn't been there until the past few weeks and now it's showing a fuzzy line right at 31 feet.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    That could be the thermocline, though I have never seen it that shallow on the lakes I fish. There are a lot of factors that have to come together for one to occur and it is entirely possible that it can occur that shallow. A lot depends of the stillness of the water, clarity, etc.

BTW, I forgot to add, if the bream are coming in dead it is a good sign that they are below the thermocline where there is little or no dissolved O2, especially if they were living down there a few months ago. It may be time to suspend baits above that area.

9. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    we managed 3 flatheads tonight. all of them were about 5 or 6lbs and came from 10 to 25 feet deep. Once again, we didn't get a nibble on the deep side of the boat casted back out into 35 or so feet of water.

10. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina

I agree with Trey. I've been striper fishing down at Portman lately and noticed that band of green on my Humminbird 787c2 showing up at slightly deeper than thirty feet and my herring wouldn't last too long below that depth although we did catch a nine pound striper at 38 feet that got smashed almost immediately.

11. ARwhiteskin

ARwhiteskin New Member

State:
    Arkansas...by God!
    Yeah weatherman, thats all I can fish for, other than channels, hear on Clarks Hill in GA. No blues! :sad2: I'm gonna try for em in a week or so there in your state. I'll keep yall posted. Headed out tonight to hunt some flatheads.

12. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    A guy that lives next to our hunting lodge in elberton, ga brought the fish he caught on clarks hill to skin them at our skinning shed. All his fish weighed in at 320 pounds on our deer scale. His t3 biggest fish were blues and they all weighed about 25lbs a piece. He was jug fishing the broad river around bobby brown state park. I've went there several times expecting to mop them up after seeing that guys fish, but I only wound up with a few small channels and hybrids. :confused2:

I guess he just happened to be in the right place at the right time

13. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Trey you're right. The TC is around 30-33 feet. Fish a summer patteren, deep and shallow at the same time. You'll still catch fish deep,TRUST ME, they'll still make that foray to deep water and back. Key is sit still and chew your nails. Yeah breams gonna die, they always do, cutbait won't.

14. ARwhiteskin

ARwhiteskin New Member

State:
    Arkansas...by God!
    Trey I'll believe it if you saw em. But, I've been fishin that lake for over 2 years now, and I haven't seen a blue come out of it. The DNR tell me they removed em. He must be a really lucky fella to catch that many. He should play the lotto. :wink:

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The blue population is not real big in Clark Hill for some reason but they are there.The former georgia state record at 62 lbs came from clark hill.If my memory serves me right when the blues got brought to SC from Arkansas they where stocked in Clark Hill, Lake Hartwell and the Santee Cooper system.They have now made their way to just about every body of water in SC now and are doing good in some and not so good in others.