Thermocline

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by cumberlandcat, Oct 23, 2006.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was wondering if someone could explain what a thermocline is . I see everyone talkin about it . Haven't a clue what it is or how you find it . All I know is that it is in lakes. Any input would be great. Thanks

2. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    I found these for a lake I like to fish at. Very informative stuff. I always thought that the big fish liked to hang at the bottom of the lake in the summer but by looking at the oxygen chart, it appears that there's nothing there to breath. :eek:oooh:
    Also, it's interesting to see how the oxygen level and the temps are almost the same from top to bottom in the winter months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though these are 2005 charts, it really helped me triangulate where the fish might be in general this year when I added in the current time of day and weather. :big_smile:

3. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I know when SCUBA diving, you know immediately when you hit the thermocline. It's like swimming into an ice-water bath. I don't know exactly what causes it, but I do know that it has a definite temperature change. I've also heard that usually you won't find many fish below the thermocline. As far as finding the thermocline goes, most good quality depth finders will show a thin gray line representing it. In Lake Norfork here in AR where I dive, the thermocline is usually around 30ft.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    The thermocline can be find in rivers with slow moving waters as well. this is the line in what the sun stops warming the water. the temp can be 10 degrees or more colder just under this point. Also the Oxygen level above this point will be very low and can not hold most fish. Most times you can find this with a good find finder sometime a line or color change in the water. Or by watching the fish you can see lines of fish holding at say 20' for some time that will be the thermocline (Drift fish just under that line) In the winter time is very high up if at all long colder nights and cool days dont ready hurt the oxygen level to where to fish see a differents. That my two cents

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all of the input.