Thermocline

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Dmitri, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What's the best way to go about find the thermocline in a lake or pond? Thanks guys.

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Drop a temperature probe and find where there is a big change, the difference should be several degrees in just a few feet.

3. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ok, that's what I had done in the past but I didn't know if there was another easy method or not. Thanks.

4. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    You can see it on a good fish finder also. Another way that I do the most is drive around some deep water and see what most of the fish are holding at what depth. You will notice most of the fish will be at a certain depth and you can bet the thermocline will be close to that depth. I fish just above and just below the thermocline and it works great. Good luck.

5. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    im a bank fisher is there anyway to tell with out a fishfinder?? thanks

6. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Bluesbrother: I don't know if you use live bait or not, but if you do, just cast out as far as you can (deep) and reel the bait in after 15 min. If the bait is dead it is below the thermocline. If not it is above it. The thermocline will be at different depths for different bodies of water and different circumstances. You'd be surprised how deep it can be.

7. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Oh yeah, if you don't use live bait just invest in a little. Goldfish are usually cheap and check if you can use them legally. If you can't get them at a baitshop you can get them at a fish store. They may also have rosys or comets, just ask for feeders. Then pick whatever is fattest.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Why would your live bait die when it goes deeper or below the thermocline? I can understand that there may not be as much O2 but dont gills/shad/breem go more than a couple of feet down in the course of thier lifetime?

9. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    There is very little to NO oxygen below the thermacline. Now as to 15 minutes, I dunno, bait might survive for 15 minutes. But I know that they cant live down there very long. If you use a fish finder its plain as day where it is because your fish finder will literally show 1 fish below and about 50 above the thermacline.
    Itll looks somthing like this

<>...<>.<>.....<>......<>.<><>
    <>.<>.<>....<>..........<>...... <- lots of fish
    .....<>.....<>...........<>....<>.
    <>...............<>............<>..
    _________________________ <-- thermacline
    ...<>................................
    ..............................<>..... <-- very few fish
    ........<>............................

And it will be consistant all over. Tons of fish above the thermacline with a few scattered fish lower down. Probably taking a dive to cool down, or maybe spoked by something on the surface.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You are not going to have a thermocline in a pond.

The thermocline is not going to be a target for 95% of the bank fishermen, and if it is you will either have to be on one heck of a pier or one heck of a steep bank.

Thermocline does not play a part until you get into some deeper water, say 40-60 feet. You can see it clear as a bell as "clutter" on a depthfinder.

11. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    "15 mins" that's always worked for me, and what I meant by being different under different circumstances I mean from body of water to body of water, different weeks/months, etc. Even a current can do something to it. I'm just saying it's not one of those calculatable things. It may be predictable with some knowledge but not a "the thermocline will be here" things. The depthfinder thing is true.

12. crazy4catfish

crazy4catfish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It is true I got a fish easy 320 first time I went to a lake with a enough water it was 44 ft deep in places. You could see the thermacline as clutter around 22ft and lots of fish at 10 to 12ft. The strange thing for me was that I was fishing around 4 and half ft. with a bobber around 3 ft down with a minnow and caught a 3lb channel.