thermocline

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rcbbracing, Oct 5, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    any guesses as to where the thermocline is right now? Is it gone completely since these cold temps hit so quick? Saturday night i used a float and had a bait at about 12 ft deep and he never died or even looked short of breath...i figured it to be around 8-10ft right now but am wondering if its completely receided...i know this years weather has been weird and down quite know how to predict this anyhow....thanks guys!

2. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    guess maybe i shouldve asked this differently... a better way to state my question shouldve been what depth are fish being caught guys? For the first time in a few months i saw a buddy with us satruday start getting good runs off the bottom in 12-14ft of water and we didnt get any under floats...so where ya hitting fish at right now?

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David I don't know if you have a depth finder or not. But if you do, you should be able to turn your sensitivity up until you get double echo and it should relate to the thermocline.

4. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man i wish i had my boat done...we have a bunch of fiberglass work to do before she hits the water...its most likely gonna be spring before she floats...anyhow thats kinda why i was asking...i have to fish from the bank...and at 12ft my baits werent dying so i kinda assumed that the thermocline was receiding...but i wasnt sure...maybe someone with a fish finder can kinda tell me what they have seen lately with the sensitivity turned up...thanks for the input tho mickey

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only things I've heard is being caught in 4-8 ft of water with bottom rigs.

6. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the info rockbass thats kinda what i figured