Thermocline on Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tnfishman, Jun 7, 2007.

1. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    was planning on a return trip some time this month. When does every one expect the thermocline to be a factor on Monticello?

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Its not a factor on Monticello.The water dont stop movin long enough for it to set in.You can catch em as deep as 135 foot all thru the summer.Probably deeper but I cant find a spot deeper than that without trees all over the bottom.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Show me a spot over 15 in Monty that doesn't have trees. LOL

Between them pumping water into the lake and the wind its all the same. It was 86 when I left yesterday afternoon.

4. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Do you mean standing timber or laydowns. I have found one patch of standing timber and its near the ramp. Havent traveled past the islands between the ramp and the power plant.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Theres standing timber all over the lake it maybe in 140 foot of water but its there. That's why I hardly drift fish, shoot if your lines are a foot off the bottom you're gonna get hung up in timber. I lost 6 hooks, 4 sinker and 200 foot of mono yesterday drifting in 110 foot of water.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I forgot to say, if you are fishing the two islands on the upper end. They have timber all around them. The backside(the side facing the rec Lake) has timber about all the way around it, most in water more than 50 feet but its there.

7. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    We probably never fished in water over 30 ft deep during our first two day trip there. With that much timber and the way they pump water in and out there is no wonder they have so many catfish in that lake. Its a great lake, wish we had one closer home like it. South Carolina and Georgia are so far ahead of Tennessee in lake management its not even funny. Tennessee spends all it money on stripers and trout. Catfish and bass are on there own.
    Here you can not fish for all the recreation boaters, skiers and jet skis(public nusisance #1)

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Theres huge areas of tree free places, you just have to find em.Theres places that where pastors before the lake was there, road beds, and huge areas that where cleared and dirt removed from to build the dam with.Theres places where the bottom is slick as a babies bottom.Search and you shall find.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    They were several ponds around before the lake was flooded also but I can't figure out where they were. You will hear some people say that the lake has water over 300 feet also but thats not true. Yes it has drops and leadges but I've never found water more than 190 feet.

Chris have you ever found any water more than 200 feet? If there is then you might find a heavy thermocline.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    No the deepest I found was around 160 or so but I hadnt went on a search to find it so it could be somewhere.

11. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    You know its got to be some big cats laid up in those tree's in the lake.

12. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    you know there are some big ones there, only problem is, you can't get to them. They just lay there and get bigger.

13. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have drifted a few of the creeks on the right hand side of the lake when your leaving the boat ramp and never even came close to getting hung on the bottom...i have had more trouble drifting greenwood than monticello so far.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The lower side of the two upper most islands is loaded with trees. After thinking about it there is three island there. The side with the smallest island has more trees in 70 ft than I have hooks.

15. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    we caught several 2-3 lb fish sitting against the island and fishing in 10-15 foot of water throwing back toward the ramp.

16. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Big Mon has alot of trees but if u fish it enough there is plenty deep water without the trees with some real hawgs to be caught.