Thermacline and Catfishing?!?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gabowman, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    You always hear alot about the thermacline and oxygen levels when crappie and other species of fish. Does this also apply with catfishing? In the lake I'm fishing there's plenty of 40-80+ feet of water where I've been fishing but as of yet I havent tried the deeper water, been sticking to 25 feet or less. Reason I'm asking is I thought I'd try a few dropoffs from 30-40 feet of water dropping down to 60-80 foot of water but didnt want to be wasting time if you guys knew better. Gimme your thoughts.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Some lakes have 2 or 3 different levels of thermoclines, it can get pretty confusing tryin to figure them out.The easiest way to figure out if theres anything there is to ride over it with your graph if you mark any, fish on it.Another thing to do is throw a live bait out reel it in in 10 to 15 minutes if its dead that means there is no oxygen at that depth so its best to move.Some graphs will show the thermocline its usually not a good idea to fish under it because theres alot less oxygen.In a deep lake like your talking about there could be another thermocline on down the water column below it.Dont be scared to fish deep if you mark em down there, the fish in my avatar came out of 88 feet of water.

3. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Yep most of the cats take advantage of the thermocline

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Catfish mostly go where the food is. The food stays at or above the thermocline. They're not much different than the other fish you've heard about.

Find the thermocline and then find an area with bait fish where the depth is about the same as the thermocline and you should do well on the catfish.

Blues will suspend in deep water at or above the thermocline but I don't know of anyone who has a working strategy to catch them while suspended.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I fished a lake that I believe had just turned over very recent the guy's setting trotlines the night before all had dead fish the next morning..It is a deep lake and I marked no fish On my finder on the bottom..the fish were suspended on the finder....no cats in the flooded timber...or flats..or bends..or drop offs....the shad were in the real shallow water...Also the spoon bill catfish were jumping out of the water like marlins!:crazy: never senn it in my life...anyone ever seen this? They were 30-40lb fish!

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sam, I fished Kerr this past Saturday and the spoonbill were doing the same thing. At first I thought I was seeing things but we were drifting and when we drifted close to them you could see them plain as day.

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I have fished my whole life and had always known about the thermocline from reading and talking to other fishermen. But until I went scuba diving I really didn't know anything about it. I always figured if the thermocline was at say 30 feet, that meant that somewhere around 30 feet the water changed temperature, probably with several feet of water gradually getting cooler, WRONG !!!!!. If the thermocline is at 30 feet, the water at 29.9 feet is way warmer than the water at 30, its like sticking your hand in an ice chest full of cold water, its that clean a break. That's what I had never realized before I actually swam down to it and in it, the thermocline is a distinct layer that you can stop just above and stick your arm into and feel where it changes. I never got it into my head till I dove that its was this distinct. Always before I just thought it was where the temperature kinda changed in the general area of , but no, its a line that is there. Fish will go below it, it doesn't stop them, but in all the diving I've done almost every fish in the summer will be sitting just above it. Where the bottom meets the therocline is where most stay in hot weather.

8. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    The thermocline is very important. Just drive around and see what depth most of the fish are and that is your thermocline.

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Is there any divers out there that can verify that they could be more than one thermocline in real deep lakes or could that be false info I'm gettin.

10. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is the way I found out. It is amazing how the difference is within inches. I am trying to learn how to see it on my fish finder but I don't know how to set it up. I hate my humminbird matrix.

11. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been through one but I have only dived to 100 feet or less. Lakes might be different from salt water. I have only been in a handfull of fresh water lakes. I would like to take some type of oxygen meter with me to measure the level.

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    From what i've learned about thermocline is it develops more so during the warmer months, mid summer is when it is at it's greatest. Go by what you see on your fish finder. If you don't get any larger fish showing in deep water then move on. Try areas that have feeder creeks leading in to a lake during summer months.

13. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good post & info guys! I had recently wondered about this myself. I have a PH meter, which also reads temp (at depth) and suggests certain colors which are more strike-pron for the properly selected water clarity (stained, muddy, clear)....I plan to try the meter soon & see.

(I've had it a few years, bought it for bass fishing & I believe the brand is Lake Systems-Color Clector)

Smitty

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Samh is dead on the money. I have heard that from other divers.

I am totally ignorant as to how to fish the thermocline, but I do fish certain depths and contour lines on the graph in summer months, and this may in part be indirectly fishing the thermocline. I can tell a distinct line in hotter water where the bait schools seem to like to stay, and usually the cats are associated to that depth also.

I guess that is ONE MORE THING I will have to learn more about.