Thermacell?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Flatheadhunter33, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I posted about a trip in a recent thread and mentioned how everyone out with me got ate up by bugs (including myself). On our pontoon, we had two citronella tiki torches a black flag candle and bug spray on. None of this stuff did any good. the bugs ate us like we were covered in candy!

A few brothers responded to my post and suggested I invest in a Thermacell or two. I think that they sell them at walmart. How many members here use them? How well do they work? Thanks for the help.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I've heard really good reports. I finally bought one. The skeeters were getting bad so I broke it out. Can't say we never got bit again but it was much more tolerable. Burned $5 worth of pads fishing an all nighter. I still need to try them out a time or two more before I can give a conclusive answer.

3. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Looking at them on the walmart web site, I saw that there is a lantern one and a portable one. Im thinking of getting the portable.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've been using them almost since they first hit the market; own several, and love them. They are one of the very few products to live up to their advertising. Not for windy conditions, but in calm or light winds they are extremely effective.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    They Are worth every penny I use a portable along with a C. candle they do a great job In some of the places I fish and camp if you didn't have them you would be in a world of hurt

6. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    Amen

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They do work VERY WELL, like Tommy said, when it is not windy. That being said, when it is real windy, insects ain't that bad anyhow. A refill butane cartridge with three repellent pads is about $7 and change. Someone in this tread mentioned using $5 worth of pads on one trip. We usually cut ours on right at dark when the skeeters are rough, and then cut it off shorty after dark when they subside. If they come back, we just cut it on again. I can usually do two or three trips on one pad. I will say that I think you could strip NAKED in the river swamp with the Thermacell on, and not get bit much, if any. I would suggest the portable model as seen in this pic:
    BB in SC

Attached Files:

8. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    My wife swears by hers, and I've only been bit a few times this summer. We have the lantern for the deck. But the little portable job works great fishing.

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    It works great but if there are 2 or 3 fishing then you will need more than one for it to be effective..

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They claim to have a 15 foot diameter range, but I have found that you need one at each end of the boat.
    BB in SC

11. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    The wife got one and I thought just another gimmick but I am a believer now. It does a really good job.

12. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks everyone! Im going to look at walmart tonight. I plan to get two portable ones for the pontoon and see how that works?

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    someone said lysterene mouthwash was a darn good repelant havent got to try this one out

14. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    How would it be used?

15. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Thermacells are awesome in my opinion. They are a little pricey to use, but they are worth their weight in gold.:wink:

16. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

The ones that I saw on the walmart site are 21-24 bucks each.

17. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    What will get ya is the price of the butane refills and the insect repellent refills. Still I won't go bowhunting in Oct or Nov without mine. Great product!!

18. BROWNING7MMMAG

BROWNING7MMMAG New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    I WOULD NOT GO FISHING WITH OUT MY THERMOCELL.

19. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I own a couple of Themacells. One is the portable and the other is the patio style. These little products are the best investment I have ever made in repelling mosquitos and black flies. I purchased one before bear hunting in Canada a couple of years ago. Some of you hunters can vouch for me on the mosquitos in Canada. They will literally carry you away. We're talking millions of them. I fired up the Themacell for the first time on stand. It takes about a minute for the repellant to be charged by the butane heat from the cartridge. I wasn't bit by one mosquito!! These Themacells are worth they're weight in gold!! Great investment!! My advice is to go out and buy one or two!

Fisherman take note: The active ingredient in the repellant is toxic to fish! If you plan on keeping any fish, keep the thermacell away from the livewell or your basket or stringer!!

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,