Thermacell Skeeter things?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by flatheaddundee, Nov 13, 2005.

1. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    I been looking at some of those thermacell things for huntin and fishin, and the only reason I ain't bought one yet is cause I dont think that they could work as good as they say. Anybody got any testimonials about them?

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I hunt the swamps here in Southeast Georgia and I am here to tell you this I will not be caught in a tree stand with out mine. I love it to death and brother I was also a little worried about it working but a friend mine gave me one to try and told me if I liked it then I could buy it and if not to return it to him. Well he don’t have it any more and I have seen a 4 point easy right up to with in 4 feet on mine right on the ground. I left it at the base of the tree I was in just to see if what these guys were saying about the deer not being bothered by the smell was true and we I am convinced now. You will not catch me with out one any more that is the gospel according to me any way.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I will back Gator up on what he says. I've used them since right after they came on the market, and they perform very well. If you buy one, read the instructions and follow them. I have found the mfg. to be a little conservative, if anything, about their claims. I will say, don't use them in an enclosed area, such as a blind. I did that with a new mat, and it made me ill (I have a chronic lung disease, and shouln't have been that stupid!) for a day or so. I requested some info and MSDS sheet from them via e-mail, and they responded very well. The active ingredient is probably not harmful to a healthy person, but Thermacell does not recommend use in an enclosure.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This might be right up my alley. Im allergic to deet and dont like using anything else in a bottle. Do these things run on batteries? and how long do the cartridges last? Which ones do you guys have. Ive had many early season hunts and fishing trips cut short cause of them skeeters. Ill be looking to get one soon, i think.

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    They run on Butane and a inscet repellant matt. The matt last about 4 hours and the butane about 12 hours. I swear it was the best $30 I have ever spent.

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I've heard the same thing from others about them. If they work in the swamps in Fl,they will work anywhere.

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i hunt the swamps up arround swampys part of town and i'll tell you rite now at the present time there ain't nothin' out there that is better!!! i start mine up when i get in my truck and when i get to my spot it's already warmed up and going... bottom line is they work great and are scent less i've had does under my stand and they didn't pay it or me no mind...

8. kildog

kildog New Member

I love my thermacell!!!! I had it on my cat quiver while still hunting and it was going strong with a new mat.....not one skeeter and had a spike buck walk with 8 yards of me and was never spooked!!! that convinced me! You won't regret it! KD

9. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Thanks ya'll I'm sure I'll get one now. I'm glad theres folks like ya'll that tell the truth about products maybe we should start a hunting product review forum.

10. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I haven't used one myself but I have a cousin that swears by them. One thing I thought I would mention though is that he said they don't work well against gnats. My cousin and friends hunt and fish on the Louisiana coast and gnats can be a real pain.