ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellant

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by daddyrabbit, Jul 21, 2008.

1. daddyrabbit

daddyrabbit New Member

State:
    Lake City S.C.
    Have heard rave reveiws on the effectiveness of ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellant Appliances. My question is do the chemicals released affect the bite?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not unless you put it in the water.......:wink:

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Haven't seen any adverse affects since we started using it. Plus it really does seem to do a good job on the skeeters.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Ya it does a great job on skeeters but those baby gnats get immune to it after a while.............And no it will not affect how fish bite, just try not to touch it very much once it's on

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I love it and wouldnt go out at night without it. Doesnt effect anything but the mosquito bite. :smile2:

6. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    The one I won works good for me.I use it the daytime to get rid of those pesky flies.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i remember ya won that thing. works well hugh?

8. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Works reel good the light is just right for night fishing will not give you that night blindness you get with other light sources.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    What are they and where can I find one. The skeeters about carried us off the river last Friday night since all this flooding we had earlier this year.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Skip

It's a little plastic appliance that uses a small butane cartridge to disperse permethrin repellent. The repellent is embedded in little pads. It's pretty effective for a small area such as a boat when the wind is light, which is of course when you need it the most. Each pad lasts about 4 hours, and the butane is good for about 3 pads.

Available from Walmart, Cabelas, Basspro, etc for just over $20, be sure to get a refill kit while you are at it.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If they work that well gonna have to try one or two.

Randy fishnfwl (I think) was posting about just soaking his old pads in a locally available pesticide (which had the same active ingredient) and saving some bucks. Guess as long as it is safe.:eek:oooh: Saving bucks isn't always worth it.:wink:

Come to think of it, isn't he having medical issues??????:crazy:

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Permethrin is deadly to fish, so anyone using this, please dispose of the pads properly. The airborne repellent is so dispersed that it shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't burn it right next to the aerator input of my bait tank. The first 2 times I used mine I got into a mess of flatheads, so any concerns about it affecting the bite faded pretty fast.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Works good on the gnats in my backyard so far. Had 2 bbq's and not one bug at the picnic table. Havent gone fishing since I bought it so I cant say more but my brother in law has one since it came out and he loves it.

14. Jeff Meyer

Jeff Meyer New Member

State:
    Mineral Point, Wisconsin
    The Wal-Marts around me all have them, and they have scent packs that work well for Deer hunting as well. We grow them skeeters big around here too!

Jeff

15. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    It works real well for mosquitos. So far it does not affect the bite.

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was bream fishing with my nephew and we had the thermacell lit and had 100 crickets in my cricket cage right beside it and in a matter of about 15-20 minutes all of them were dead. No mosquitos but no bait either.:smile2:

17. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Man them things seam to work pretty well, Go straight to there web site got some great deals on Refurbished ones, vulture(greg) got 2 pair with the holster and all for a real good price looked and worked just like the brand new one I got at wallys world at half the price :wink: http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/

18. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    yea but it's not from that SkipO, :smile2: and yes you can re soak the pads and they actually work better, use the same chems I use in the yard fogger, have been for a few years.... There are a couple different styles out now, and different price, you will never fish on the river again with out one, matter O fact I just gave one to OLD HARRY, LOL felt sorry for the old crusty Boatless H!

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ok, if you refill the pads, where do you get new butane canisters?