ThermaCell Camo Mosquito Repellent

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by ShilohRed, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Anyone use one of these?
    If so how long will it last before have to buy one of the rearming kits?
    Also in a 20ft boat how many would it take to keep the mesquitos away?
    Thanks for any info on this.
    Pete

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    it claims to work for a 250 sq ft area. I've got one here a friend left and I use it outside and it seems to work pretty good. Don't know how long it lasts.

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use one for bowhunting and it works great. I can be sitting in my stand and actually watch the mosquitos fly around me but only once in a long while does a mosquito land on me. The gas cartridge does not last long enough for you to burn the 3 pads that come with it though. You have to buy more gas cartridges. But the good thing about that is you can go to the women's salon/hair drying section in Wal Mart and buy those cartridges two at a time. Thermacell makes the cartridges for those hair dryers also. They are actually labeled "Thermacell" refills.I think they are like $3 or $4 per 2 pack but it beats buying the refills cuz then you are left with a bunch of blue pads you might never use. On my 22' toon I plan to use 2 Thermacells, one on each end of the boat. Hope this helps...

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    one of my friends used one last season and he said its great. lasts about 6 hrs. I'll probably be getting one. especially since I'll be doing more night fishing this summer (if the gas prices go down). The lehigh valley has been having a problem with west nile virus so Im a tad concerned about the buggers.

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I fish in fl at night they WORK! I won't go without one ever again. I got a new unit in my tackle box for a back up just incase mine stops working. Go get one and put it in your boat you won't be sorry. You will only need one unit.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks Guys, I will pick up 2 of them. One for the front and one for the back of the boat.
    If they work there well worth the $$.
    Pete

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pete, you buying local or ordering?

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Buck I will look around on line and see what is the best deal, Then decide. Won't me to let you know if I find a good deal?
    Pete

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Wal-Mart is the best place to buy them they are around $22,online they are 25-29 plus shipping. They come in two colors the other is white they are the same units just different colors.

10. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Mines in the boat right now used it last night love it!

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Picked up one today at Wal-Mart it was the only one they had left.
    Will pick up one more when they get some more in.

Thanks Guys for all the help. Now to get the camper out and go fishing Wed Evening and try it at Pickwick.

Pete

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Use THem For Hunting & Fishing, They Work Great!!. I only Need 1 For My 20' Boat. They Don't Work As Well When It's Windy But Then Again If It's Real Windy The Skeeters Aren't Biting Anyways.

Have A Good Day, Elliot

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks I picked up one at Wal-Mart to try out. And see how well it works.
    Pete

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Never heard of them. How do they work?

15. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thermacell works by heating a mat saturated with mosquito repellent. As the mat is heated the repellent is released into the surrounding area providing an area of protection (about 225 sq. feet). I always wanted one just didn't know if they worked until now. Thanks guys

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thank guys for the info. I need several now.

17. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just ordered one as well and sure hope they work good. I take it they dont put out any scent? Because I was wanting to use it for deer hunting early season as well.

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    U guys have made me a believer, gonna pick one up next time I am at Wally World.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Daniel or anyone else,where in the woman hair drying section of Walmart are the cartridges?Better yet what do they go to ie hair dryer,curling iron etc.I prowled those ailses last night for so long the salegirls must have though I was either Gay or Vidal Sassoon or both.:angry: By the way Thermacell has a new lantern out which might be more effective in somesituations like bank fishing as you can have light and mosquito protection all in one.:big_smile:

20. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can get them on E-Bay 12 for $12