TheRiverRat vs Great miami shad!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by TheRiverRat, Aug 2, 2009.

1. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    guys i need help, i dont know how many hours ive wasted casting and casting my net and i cant find any shad in the gmr near hamilton, i need help, anyone know a good shad hole???........RAT

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    B Street dam. Walk down the wall from the park and cast in the eddy to your right (trust me, you should see it). I've caught some big shad there. The water was very low though, you may have better luck than me. Most averaged 4 - 6 inches.

If you go to where the dam is pouring down into the corner (same location) and cast into that white water, you may get some there. I load up QUICK on suckers there. Be careful throwing there though, it gets slippery quick and it wouldn't be too pleasant to fall in.

3. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    which side are you talking about downtown side or what??....RAT

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  5. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i was just there like a half an hour ago and i got nothing....... i spend mass hours casting nets there and only bring out 3 or 4 4-6 in shad after 3 hours of throwing.....RAT

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's weird. It's slow catching them but I can usually come with a dozen decent sized ones in a little under 40 minutes. Maybe it's because the water is a little high. The last time I threw there the water was fairly low.

Maybe try throwing at the dam across from Miami-Hamilton?
    I haven't heard anything about the place, but it's the last dam before the Ohio river. There has got to be some action there.

I have another spot I catch shad/suckers/drum from - but either it produces or it doesn't. Finding bait in the GMR is a helluva challenge.

People throw at the BStreet Dam all the time, so there must be some secret about it. I constantly see them going back and emptying into the bucket after they throw too.

Did you try tossing into the white water there? That movement there is no joke and please be careful if you decide to try. But that is usually where everyone throws. I've had luck throwing all around there .. just have to find the right spot.

/ James

7. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    yeah i see the same thing you do but i think alot of people around there are just after anything that goes into the net.... i have went there 4 or 5 times only bringing in a few, u must have just gotten lucky....RAT

8. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Honestly, after I got skunked there three times in a row - I've basically given up there. If times get hard, I will go throw down there still.

Have you tried casting by boat ramps or anything?

Honestly man, I save every piece of bait I can. I have frozen shad and suckers in my freezer right now. These are all fish I've caught out of the net from the GMR. I can never say, "We will get bait" and be sure that we will. Like I said, the GMR either seizes to amaze me, or it's just the typical sinker stealing, gar lingering, no place to get shad of a river.

The mouth of the GMR produces shad very well, but that obviously out of your range.

I have no doubt in my mind there's spots near you and I that we can rely on, and I'm sure someone here knows. If I find a spot I'll definitely let you know.

/ James

9. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    well we will se what happens but for right now i will have to travel to get results.........RAT

10. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Trust me, I feel your pain.
    Save what you get though, the flatheads in the GMR haven't seem to be minding the frozen cut bait as of yet.

11. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    do you let your net sink for a few secs before bringing it in, and im also having some trouble getting hung up on rocks and misc things...tips?.........RAT

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Depends on where I'm throwing. I judge by the bank for snags. If I'm throwing from the bank, I never let it sink for more than 5 seconds though.

I've destroyed a net there already, and my second is pretty much fried also. Made the hole HUGE from throwing in the Ohio.

13. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Caught a few shad down by the dam in hamilton by Miami Hamilton, but it was only 2-3 after a million throws as well. I am not sure the GMR has any places that are surefire for shad like the Ohio has in a couple places i know. Atleast I haven't came across them yet anyhow. Good luck though man

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have fished, and cast netted for bait on the gmr from above Dayton all the way to the Ohio and that whole length SUCKS for trying to catch shad:angry:. i dunno whats up with the gmr but it is almost shad-less unlike the scioto, that river is lousy with 'em. only sure fire way i have found is when the river is really high and blown out in the winter. i can usually fill my "shad box" in the freezer in just a couple trips and will last all year.

as for this time of year only luck i have had is right off really sandy sand bars at night and near lowhead dams but there you risk losing your nets. try around boat ramps at night and anywhere there is a street light close to and shining on the water. hope this helps

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Aaron usually when ya cast the net you do wait a few seconds. What time of the day or evening are you trying to catch them? That may be why your not catching many. I know usually alot of people try in the late evening or early morning to catch them.

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    also try 3 to 5 inch bluegill or sunfish plenty of them in the gmr

17. TheFlatheadWhisperer

TheFlatheadWhisperer New Member

State:
    ohio
    find a lock or your nearest damn

18. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Now that I think about it, letting the net sink probably is the reason for not catching anything.

When I'm casting from a bank, I don't let it sink nearly as much as when I'm on a boat for fear of snags. Just learn your terrain, because even on the boat we were casting near the bank and back into the boat - not even a pull out of 40 or so casts.

I'll take my crap net down there to BStreet Dam sometime soon and see what happens. Maybe we can meet up.

/ James

19. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    yeah those damns are dam great places to find shad haha :wink::smile2:......RAT

20. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    went to throw at the GMR yesterday and i caught several big shad like 12 in long and alot of 4-6 in shad i sure was on em yesterday i almost fill up my 3 gallen bucket....RAT