There's wheels on that thar boat!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by FishyMike, Jul 5, 2009.

1. FishyMike

FishyMike New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The title says it all. Yes I would like to put some small dolly wheels on the tail end of my john boat, but I need a few tried and true ideas from all the professionals out there. It can be most difficult for myself to launch my boat all by myself. It would be great if I could just roll my boat down to the launch. I know the wheel thing is possible, i just need some visual aid.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I have seen the boat/wheel thing in use but never paid any attention on how it was rigged. Some one will have an answer for you soon.:0a25::0a25::0a23:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Anything can be fabricated. I would think to reduce drag ya might want to make something where after ya get it launched the wheels could be pivoted up and out of the water. Get some pics after ya make it, i like the concept just not sure how to go about it.

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I don't know if this would help>I haul my john boat in the back ogf my truck. I use a dolly to get it down to the water and back up.All i do is put the dolly under the back of the boat and put 2 straps around it I can push a 14 ft. flat bottom any where I want with it.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...s?q=boat+dolly&hl=en&rlz=1W1HPIC_en&sa=N&um=1

Heres something you can buy.

Myself, I just use a dolly like was suggested. Once you ratchet strap the boat to the dolly its a piece of cake.
    I have a trailer for my boat but I am not fortunate enough to live near any ramps.:sad2: You gotta do what you gotta do.
    I can say that I am the only one runnin my rivers with a motor.:wink::cool2:

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Somewhere on here are pics of the "cart" I made for mine.
    The back half of two children's bicycles rigged together with boards and all thread rod. Strap the boat on them "sunny side up" and the whole kit and caboodle makes a great cart to haul your gear.

A bit much just for launching, but if you have a ways to travel between the parking spot and the water it is the berries!

7. FishyMike

FishyMike New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The sunny side up is what i am after. I do want to thank everyone for the fast response.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Mike welcome to the BOC ,sounds like a good idea you got there keep us posted on how it works out for you

9. FishyMike

FishyMike New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For a short time I am going to re-invent the dolly. I'm gonna take my grinder or cutting wheel and do surgery on one of my old dolly's. The ideas came from those pics that were posted on this topic. Hopefully when I am done I will be able to roll my boat for some distance in the sunny side up position. If there are any more pics, I would love to see them.Thanks for any future help........

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  11. FishyMike

FishyMike New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This one i can fabricate. I have just enough materials on hand. I can toss that dolly aside for awhile.

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Reckon I would be careful that my transom can handle the extra stress those will put on it.
    But I do like the idea that you have no worries about where to put your wheels after launch.

Good luck! And don't forget to post "start to finish" pics when you gett' er done!

We love pics!! :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC. No real ideas on your adventure but I'm sure you'll get it done.

14. FishyMike

FishyMike New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I can enlarge the pieces of lumber on the transom to reinforce the transom. There will be at least an extra dozen nuts & bolts overall. The strength should be at least doubled.