There's still "Another Chance"

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Live2Fish.Fish2Live, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

Live2Fish.Fish2Live New Member

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    Two years ago I killed my biggest buck ever, a 140" 11 pointer. I thought that would be the biggest deer I would ever kill until I saw the "Buck of a Lifetime" last season. It was a double drop tine buck at least 160" to low 170" and he was on our farm. I hunted all year and never saw him again and just knew he had been taken by one of the neighbors.
    I went hunting today and the weather conditions weren't exactly perfect. It was drizzling rain about 38 degrees and a 20 to 30 MPH wind to boot. I chose to go hunting in the bad weather because the kids just got some early x-mas presents and they were fighting over them. It then became a perfect day to go hunting.
    I sat in my stand until I couldn't stand the swaying back and forth anymore so I decided to still hunt. I must have covered every inch of our farm and it was almost dark so I decided to still hunt my way back to the jeep. I got within 100 yards of the stand I was hunting earlier in the day and I caught movement about 75 yds to my left. I looked in amazement to see the drop tine buck stand up inside a fence row thicket and head my way. He was the buck I had seen the prior season. Same frame, just a bigger rack than I remembered. I kept looking through the scope trying to get a shot but darkness was closing fast, and when I finally got the crosshairs on what I thought was his shoulder, I realized it was just too darn dark to take the shot. I didn't want to shoot at this magnificent animal I had hunted long and hard for and take a chance on not getting a good shot placement. I let him walk ten more feet and he disappeared in the dense brush.
    I am sitting here convincing my self that I did the ethical thing. I now realize that I have matured as a hunter because there was a time in my past when I would have taken that shot and never thought twice about it. I also realize that the buck and I both still have "Another Chance".

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    back couple weeks ago i let a monster buck walk that i had been seeing on my cam. he came about 5 feet from my feeder pen and raised his head looked right at me must have gotten a wiff thats when i seen his rack and knew it was him trotted off a bit and seen him stick his head out the brush threw the scope on him and let him walk couldnt let my self take a crap shot on such a great trophy maybe next year. im not really a rack hunter i just like the meat and good times but this one gave me the fever i have never seen a buck with such a big rack that was alive and at my feeder. Good luck next time.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    He'll be better next year and I don't know you but I will say you made a MATURE decision congrats on your thought process !

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Your patience will be rewarded. I assure you!! REPS to you for doing the right job. :big_smile:To bad other hunters would have taken the shot and risked making an unethical shot and marginally wounding the animal!!:angry:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Great write up on a magniefsent hunt. I think that a lot of us mature in our thinking process as we get older.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    You did the right thing. I did the same thing at dark the evening of opening day. Never saw him again. I know hes still walking around out there. Very few people hunt in my area and I know what neighbors got what. Maybe next year. Thanks for the storyand reps to you.

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    You definitely made the right decision. Hopefully you will get another chance at him. I believe you will.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    reps to you bud. even though you didn't bring him out, you'll never forget that hunt. also, when your kids start hunting with you it will be a valuable story in teaching them to be responsible.

9. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

Live2Fish.Fish2Live New Member

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    I'm heading back out after him in this morning. Our season doesn't end here til the 11th. The conditions ought to be about the same today as they were the other day. I expect him to be bedded down somewhere in that fencerow thicket. He can see four fields from that area and nothing can get within 150 yards of him without him knowing it. I will have to glass that thicket closely from a nearby hillside and hope to spot him.
    Wish me luck!