There has got to be an easier way- end caps!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by stumpjumper, Nov 2, 2007.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    There has got to be an easier way to remove the small end caps when replacing a keel roller! I have always just pried with screwdriver-sucks!

Also when putting the new caps on do you just hammer them?

Thanks for any advice

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I also had fits with those darn end caps. Only took them off once. When they were off, I removed the roller pin, put it in a vice, drilled a 3/16" hole down the center of the pin for about 2 inches, then drilled a hole from the side of the bar into this cavity. Then I put a tap to the darn thing and put some threads in it... screwed in a grease zerk, Used a die to put threads on the rod, and used a safety nut to put it back on the trailer.... and viola, no more problem. First time I lubricated all the rollers and put the boat in the water, I darn near fell off the trailer when I gave it the old grunt push I used to do... this thing slid off the trailer faster than snot in February... and buddy, thats fast.

3. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    When putting the caps on ..insert them in a socket, align it with the axle and tap it with a hammer. They are only good 4 one instalation. Once you remove one trash it and replace with a new one.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I really appreciate your advice, it helped tremendously. That was the second time I had to replace the keel roller. I realized that the guy I bought the boat from had the roller too far back and the boat was actually sitting on the roller while trailering. Hopefully, I have it fixed for good. Thanks again!