Them days is gone along with the Shad.

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by peewee williams, May 2, 2008.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    From what I can find out the American Shad Run on the Ogeechee and Savannah Rivers in Georgia were horrible.They have to be in trouble.

I remember the days that you could scoop up all of the 4-6 lb American shad that you wanted with a long handle dip net on very good days in the Ogeechee river.

How were the Shad runs and numbers in other rivers that anyone knows of.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Had no problem collecting bait in Ky or Tn this year. Sorry to hear that your fish are going away.

3. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Sorry to hear about your luck, but fish schools change their patterns from time to time. So maybe they are running in a differant location now.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i didn't know enough of them got harvested to impact the population, or maybe there's something out at sea affecting them.

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The American Shad lives and Spawns different from the inland Shads.It is a Saltwater fish.

The American Shad normally is 3-7 pounds,but runs to 9 pounds and migrates up the rivers to spawn like the Atlantic Salmon in the spring.I think water quality is the big issue as our rivers are just a sewer for our big cities and towns.It use to be cheaper for them to just pay the fines and dump the raw sewage than it was to make repairs or clean it up.I doubt if this has changed.

The solution is so simple.Just pipe the sewage outlet to the city water intake.Problem solved.The citizens would make sure that the water is clean!

The upstream outlet is the downstream intake now!Think about it.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What is pathetic is that they could have taken this money and used it to open the lock.This is a sham to say they are doing something.What little they are doing is fairly useless.

They do not even have any knowledge whatsoever on how many of these fish will survive this to spawn.Everyone who has ever handled a netted shad knows it will be few.Even catch and release and you will find many shad floating downstream on low water years where you can see them.Shad are the hardest bait of all to keep alive.Shock em,net em,expect them to live,expect them to breed.Unbelievable!These locks are like the boondoogle pork barrel brainstorm "Tide gates" on the Back River at Savannah that helped destroy the Striped Bass fishery in the Savannah River.

I think their main purpose has been to hide the now Billions of gallons of illegal raw sewage that Augusta has willingly and knowingly pumped into the river over the years.The Savannah River has been Augusta's sewer since it saw it's first indian.

Open the gate,pipe the sewage outlet six foot upstream and at the same level as the city water intake and watch the problems get solved right away.

A fishery dies because of politics and bull manure!

Augusta Georgia has never willingly done anything about their problems to others until made to do so and mostly paid for by others through it's history.Augusta has a history of creating problems.Look it up.They leave any solving to be done to others.Look it up.

Augusta has simply used gravity to remove their sewage as much as possible.

"S _ _ T" flows down hill was,has been and still is a very popular Augusta resident retort to the folks downstream who complained about their raw sewage dumping for many years.I know as I have heard it for many years!They seemed to be and seem to be,proud of it.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well, peewee, that sucks! maybe someone will pull their head out of their a$$ in time for saving these fish.

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I caught quite a few shad in savannah river last yr but didnt get down there to fish this yr. did get by there once this yr to see if they were there yet but didnt have time to fish because I was working but there were alot of people catching them, did talk to one chinese man that was catching them and packing them on ice as fast as he caught them and loading them in coolers, he said there were 8 people there from where ever he was from that were working in shifts catching them and leaving. tried to find out more but a woman came up and talked to him and then he left and she wouldnt talk none she just went to fishing. Tommy do sturgeon run up that river because you could see some really big fish out in the tail race but couldnt really tell what they were. I figured they were sturgoen or big saltwater stripers. some looked to be 40 to 50 lbs. they were people striper fishing but never saw anyone catch one.

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had a uncle who lived in and fished that area for 50+ years.He fished for and caught Striped Bass and Sturgeon up that far in years gone by when it was legal.

The old folk in Springfield Georgia told of a Sturgeon brought to town whole to be cut up and sold piece by piece as was normal back then.The head butted the front of a 2 horse wagon and the tail drug the ground.My ex father in law first told me about this fish he saw when young.I asked around and all of the other older folk remembered it as the whole town saw it and many bought part of it to eat.The folks who caught it sold fish every Saturday in town.I would think this fish would have to have been at least 12 feet long if not more.Those wagons beds were loading dock hight!It had been loaded with Block and tackle.They regularly sold 6-9 foot ones in town like this.This one was a giant.I would think this occurred around around 1922 give or take a couple of years.Too many people around 1960 remembered it in detail and agreed about it all for it to be a false tale.

Everyone remembered how fast it sold.Everyone wanted to be able to say that they ate a piece of that fish.I have never cared for Sturgeon or salt water Cobia which are much alike to me.The now endangered small Short nose Sturgeon was quite common and prized by many in my youth.They ran with the early shad in late winter and early spring.I have seen one fish jump which I believe was a large 6 foot Sturgeon 25 years ago in the Savannah river.It was very close and looked just like the ones that jumped up in fresh water up above Mobile,Alabama.

I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee.

11. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Sounds like the cities "downhill" need to take the matter to task and sue the S__T out of the city of Augusta! If the fines are not sufficient to force change, then perhaps a forced increase in the cost of cleanup will be. I see no reason that the other cities they are forcing to clean up THEIR mess can't go to court for compensation for the expense, not to mention punative damages seeing as it's an act of gross neglegence. With the given history, that aspect should be easily proven in court. Any lawyer worth his legal degree should be able to win that case!

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    When you find any that will not settle it for their fee on the Golf Course,send them on down!

I agree,but they ain't.As long as the government keeps waving the fines and deadlines,there is no case.They had legal permission.

From what I have read it seems to be a pretty common thing.

I now live in the "City of Pembroke", Georgia.The city took us in by a petition we sighed to request to be brought into the city.I was told that my name was on this petition.I never saw it and others told me the same.I went to city hall.I requested to see the petition.I was told to see the city attorney who was never available but finely left word that I would have to see the Mayor which had said I had to see the attorney and on and on.I would have to hire a lawyer to see a petition that I was told my name was on.

I am now on city sewage that was not grade checked or inspected as required by law.I know as I watched it done.The city sewage is vented straight into my garage without a trap.I called and have heard nothing.

The reason we were took in was that the city sewage pond STUNK.Pembroke took us in to help them pay for their sewage problem and moved the government grant sewage system out here for us to smell.This is the accepted way for municipalities to do rural areas throughout the US.This is why our rivers are our sewers.

Look at the damage Golf Courses do with their pesticide and fertilizer runoff.As long as politicians,the legal system and the wealthy play golf,they will continue to be allowed to pollute as they do.

13. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Any sort of "On Your Side" news channels out there? Out here if something like that were to happen and someone called channel 47 it would be all over the TV and mayors don't like being cast in that sort of light on TV. Doesn't do them a lot of good come the next election. As for seeing the petition, that should be a matter of public record and should be openly vierwable at your records office. If not, try writing your state capitol, or find a young lawyer who gives a damned about justice and file a class action suit for deprivation of your constitutional rights. I know the lawyers who've been around a while are generally money grubbing and dishonest as the creeps you need to sue in the first place, but the younger ones who only passed the bar a year or three ago tend to be a lot more likely to have an interest in helping people enforce their rights. Just a thought... maybe I'm too optimistic.