Them beavers again

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by sds888, Jul 18, 2007.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I got called, about a week ago, to this nice place on the mountains were beavers had damned up this guy's water fall and of course taking down trees. So I qouted the guy fifty dollars a beaver and he said no I will pay you 100 dollars a beaver so I didnt complain. He stated that someone in the area was charging 250 dollars a beaver. Never heard of anyone charging that much. So anyway he preceeds to tell me that he has been busting up the dam constantly since november but of course they keep building it back. So he took me to the dam and the water was flowing. He stated that this is the most they have ever let it flow. So I set my 330's out all over thes beaver pond and across the streams and their slides. Went back and nothing not a single beaver. So i thought well lets just make them active again. So I went to the dam and busted as much as I could and the water flowed. So I went back and almost all the water is gone in the pond and there has been no rebuilding of the dam. So them D%^& beaver have gotten away again. I going to go back again and if nothing has rebuilt the dam this time I am going to bust the rest of it and walk away moneyless.:sad2:

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    its like deer hunting. you see a ton of em preseason but on opening day they all join the witness protection program.

3. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    they all moved to mississippi we got tons

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Stephen, how 'ya been? I'd contact the landowner, tell him to keep in touch with you. Ask him to kind of keep clear of the area if possible. Beaver can get spooked pretty easily. Let things quiet down awhile & see if they're still in the area (I bet they are). If you have any large footholds (and within the regs) try that route, especially if that other trapper's using bodygrips. Be sure & keep us updated if the situation changes.

Good luck!
    Smitty

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    hey 223 I am doing great i has been a long time since we conversed. This stream is an ideal situation for NWCO (Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator) It is a spring fed creek about 1/4 mile long with a waterfall at the end in to a major lake. The landowner is only concern is that the waterfall keeps flowing. As long as the beaver aren't daming it up he is happy and the Job is done. On most of my Jobs I price them per the job not by the animal. But for beaver for some reason I price them by the beaver which really I dont make all that much money on. But I have fun trapping them more than anything else. It is like small acomplishment unlike my other jobs like oh another squirrel or rat. LOL So in the long run no beaver no money but dont worry i will make it up on the other jobs I have going on then some. It is all in the life of a NWCO. LOL

6. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Hey Stephen. Wish I was chasin' mountain beavers instead of down here in Mexico workin'!!!

I think Smitty is probably right about the beavers gettin' spooked by all the activity going on at their dam. Unless they set up housekeeping in an area, just pestering them will sometimes encourage them to move along. Did you see any sign of bank dens or a house in the 1/4 mile stream above the water fall?

It could be any number of reasons that they have left. If there is a lake close by like you said, they might have just changed locations because of food choices, low water conditions, human activity, predator pressure, territorial fighting, etc., etc. One thing I've definately learned about beavers, when you think you've got them figured out, they will do the total opposite!! lol

Good luck with them. Try and get the landowner to leave them alone if they come back. Let us know how it goes!!

7. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Yup they had bank dens. The only dam I saw was the one that was blocking up the water. I usually see more than that even with bank dens but like you said once you think you have them figured out they do something else.

8. catfishhunter17

catfishhunter17 New Member

State:
    indiana
    heY STEVEN,
    i trap beavers all the time is your traps still in the water? i've pearsonally seen beavers with that much activity around there dams to stay inside for months at a time. just leave your traps set put some beaver estrus all over them. thats what i did last year when the bevers damned up the creek into our cow feild.Hope this helps.
    thanx jr

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

when ever i got a kill'em call i use foot holds first no trap to see no get spooky then when i got just one to get i will bust out the bodygrippers and snares on them. beavers will spook off and even take up new homes if they are messed with enough, but sooner or later either that famliy group or another one will make that place home again. that landowner will call agin if he does i would make it real clear that if he wants them gone to leave them be for you to deal with

10. D-MO

D-MO New Member

State:
    Southeast Missouri
    this is gettin me pretty hyped up for the season, i saw a buncha beaver the other day while fishing.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Dynamite was the best thing for Beaver Dams,Beavers and stumps.You made a big leak,set and wired your charges,watched and set them off while the Beavers were repairing the dam.I think the scattering of the dead Beaver remains were what made them leave.You could just blow the dam without the Beavers and they would just keep repairing it.People making bombs put a stop to sending your kid to buy Dynamite,wire & fuse at the local hardware store.Most kept a case on hand and sold it by the case or stick.The electric or fuse caps were handled separately and carefully.A grownup had to buy them.I think the age you had to be was 16 for caps.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    "Yes, I'd like a comb, a pack of gum, a pint of Old Harper Whiskey, and 10 sticks of Dynamite please" :smile2:

What ever happened to the good old days PeeWee :after_boom:

lol
    Smitty

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I hate to say it but what happened is the younger generation.We did not put up with "Me,My Self and I" until the federal courts started putting us in prison for saying no.Now we have had moral cowards,Draft dodging cowards,and a non elected deserter "from the military" for presidents.It may get worse.We now we have a person running for president who supported and legally represented the people who not only spit on,but threw their urine and feces on me and the other service men of my generation.This persons spouse as president pardoned 16 terrorist convicted of planting in excess of 130 bombs in the USA in public places, killing 6 and injuring 70 people.These were Puerto Ricans.1.3 million Puerto Ricans would soon vote in the election for the office this candidate was using as a stepping stone to the presidency.Also pardoned were the multiple Cocaine importers,distributers,and many other wealthy contributers who were charged and convicted of stealing a total of billions of dollars.Guess who is supporting this candidate now?I didn;t believe it till I started looking.This is what happened to my country.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good post PeeWee. I've been on this earth a mere 50 years, and can't say I like the changes I've seen. It all comes back to one thing.....greed. People didn't use to be that way :sad2:

Smitty

15. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Amen to that guys . I too was in the service back then . I don't believe there is any way I will ever forget the treatment we got as we tried to pass thru the airports .

On the beaver problem it sounds like they were played with and are activity shy . Snares would be my weapon of choice if legal . Leave no sign of being around and check from a distance like checking a coyote trap . I would rather tangle with an educated yote then an educated beaver .

Pete