Their, they`re and there

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by seacatfish, Jul 25, 2008.

1. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    I used to frequent a wrestling forum, where many of the posters were high school coaches. As such, most of them were also high school teachers. Their use, and misuse of these three words was as bad as the kids on the forum.

I`m no brainiac, but I did learn to use their, there, and they`re correctly, for the most part.

If you have issues with these words, or just want to see some fish pictures, click on my avatar and then on the photo album, 'My mate Chris and weather pix'. One of the photos has a caption with all three words used correctly. :wink:

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    :smile2:lmao.

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Well I tell ya I write real relaxed in here, but I do know how. I say ain't and heah sometimes, and just have a good time with my posts in general. But I can assure ya I do know how to write.

Can't spell worth a hoot but I can sure do research, I never made less than an A on a paper.

This in here be's scribblin...not writin' for me. and btw the way Sea...

Hukt on foniks werks fer mee.

( It's bad when the kids say Mrs. Fisher... that is spelled XXXXX. They cover for me all the time on that! LMBO)

4. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Since I homeschool my kids, I am VERY familiar with the word usage problem.:confused2: My son (12) has finally gotten over the confusion. I thought I was going to have to manually shove the English book into his head through his ear!!:smile2:

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i just use there for all 3 and hope folks understand what i am saying.

6. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Watch out for those wrestling coaches, they're fond of their ways over there. :smile2:

7. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    I think your using the words correctly in you're sentence.:wink::wink:

8. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    AARRGG, You`re giving me a tick. Now I have to worry about your and you`re. I can tell I won`t be getting any sleep tonight. And it`s hard to type with all this twitching....

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    After re-reading my post, I see it may come across as being crude and stereotypical. Sorry Dan, I was just trying to make a humorous post using all 3 words correctly.

10. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    No worries, David. You done good, LMAO. :smile2:

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I homeschooled my son also. (He's 4.0 in college now)
    Question? How do you get them to stop correcting us when we make any mistake? I keep telling him one of these days he's going to get his nose punched by somebody who isn't as patient as I am.

That's two posts using the word "homeschool" in here. Cher, are you "twitching" yet?:wink:

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Misspelled words, and improper conjugation is one thing. Improper use of the apostrophe gets me. Like: "I got 3 new fishing pole's." C'mon, it takes extra effort to include a character that doesn't even belong lmao. :confused2:

(Actually, I don't care how you spell or write, so long as I can understand you. Just don't call ME stupid while displaying poor writing skills.)

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    All other times are still okay, right?:wink:

14. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    LOL NOPE I ain't twitchin!

I woulda homeschooled MINE if I coulda. :crazy::crazy:

and I don't think anyone read anything wrong in the coach thread hon, You probably saw more in it than the rest of us! LOL I give the coaches at my school HECK every chance I get! They the nervous types anyway and it makes em worry, and I LIKE that, since they got that "easy" job that when you figure the hours they put in they probably make a whole dollar an hour, lol...even with stipends!

Kind of a shame then kinda makes me shrug and say they knew what they was getting into when they did it... same with me... I work a lot harder than a bunch of em cuz of building up and tearing down labs and grading as much as every one else on top of it LOL!!! Who cares! We doing what we love!:cool2:

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    YES! You can cut on my intelligence only if you are actually smarter than me (not difficult to accomplish), but you have to be able to prove it. :wink:

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Y'all don't know misery...I married an English major. Can anyone say, "PITA?":roll_eyes:

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im one of thos dumb hillbillys thatonly use the period and some times comma.i type with one finger and i spell words like they sound.sorry its all i know.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    We know Johnnie. You also run around barefooted. LOL

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    dang tom thats a big avatar,:wink: nice setup the on the kutters katter.:cool2:

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I hear ya Cher, same here. :wink:

Interesting you should bring this subject up Dan. I was discussing it recently with another member.

Remembering the difference in homonyms and using them correctly isn't normally too difficult for me, so I find myself reading some things and muttering to myself, "How hard can it be people?"

However, we all make mistakes at times. Lately I seem to be having a problem with it's (it is)......using it incorrectly as a possessive.

Here's my best there, they're and their sentence; posted on a thread about butter worms.

"They're used there, and in their native country of Chile, as fishing bait."