Thefts at Smallwood State Park on the Mattawoman

Discussion in 'LOCAL MARYLAND TALK' started by Rivercat09, May 24, 2007.

1. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Until recently, I was keeping the Carolina Skiff in the dry-storage facility at Smallwood on the Mattawoman. Sadly, there’s been a crime wave of sorts down there. While stored in the locked dry-storage area, my boat was broken into twice over the last month. The first time I figured it was a one time shot, but the second time was the final straw. I’m not the only victim, as they’ve had numerous other break ins recently at both the dry storage area and at the wet slips.

I’m now keeping my big boat on the Magothy in a much more populated area. The Magothy presents tremendous opportunities at stripers, croakers, blues, and everything else the bay has to offer. We’ll continue to use the canoe during weeknights on the Potomac. The good thing is, for weekends or days off, I can pick up my ‘skiff in the pre dawn hours and still be putting out of Fort Washington by sunrise.

The good thing is, my new marina is 25 miles from the house as opposed to 50 miles to Smallwood, which translates to an hour extra fishing time. There are also numerous good boat mechanics close by.

It really broke my heart to leave Smallwood. The morning I left with my boat for the Magothy, the area was teeming with life. There were lots of wood thrushes singing at the top of the hill, Carolina wrens and song sparrows were singing at the boat yard, and I saw a pileated woodpecker and a bald eagle. It was a bittersweet day. My problem with Smallwood is the vultures, the ones that walk upright on two legs. The park has so much to offer between the wildlife and the big game catfishing, but it’s not worth it if I’m losing $500 worth of gear a month.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I to hate changes. But It's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.:lol::big_smile:

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I hate to hear that but Fort washington marina does have a better place and it is watched at night as well.

4. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I looked into Fort Washington. Fort Washington wants $160/month for dry storage versus $100/month on the Magothy. There's many more marinas on the Bay proper versus the river. Sixty bucks difference will give me a head start on gas money. Believe me, if the prices were equal, I would be on the river in a heart beat.

I also looked into Belle Haven, and they're not even taking new slip or dry storage customers. I guess this is what happens when there are fewer marinas.