THE YO YO'S

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by BIGCATFISHDAN, Oct 14, 2008.

1. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE HAD USED THE YOYOS AND IF SO WOULD I BE ABLE TO SUBMERGE THEM WITH OUT THEM BEING RUINED. THEY CLAIM TO BE GALVINIZED , BUT I GONT THINK THE SPRING IS. PLEASE HELP ME OUT I WANT TO KNOW HOW GOOD THEY ARE BEFORE I BUY THEM. ALSO HOW MUCH WEIGHT WILL THEY PULL IN EFFECTIVLY,AND IS THERE A CERTAIN BRAND I SHOULD GET.

2. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    I don't think they are legal in Texas.... You may want to check rules and regs....

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    it says they are illegal in the regs. i have seen some hanging before, but stayed away from them.

4. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Bigcatfishdan! And Welcome to catfish1/BOC!
    Like PB said they are not legal here in Texas. I looked at them about two years ago and then found out they are not legal in Texas so I forgot about them. You can run trot line,limb lines and jugs though. I know that jugs must be white with your name and address and date you put them out. I usually only use RR.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We used them for years crappie fishin. White's auto fisher was the bran we had, and yes the spring will rust if not kept oiled. I honestly wouldn't target very big fish with them but they'll catch fiddlers ok. I haven't used any in years, but it's a good way to catch a mess of crappie.

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Go for the jugs. We have had greatluck with them. What lake are you fishing???

7. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I use them in the red in La. for catfish. We have caught some monsters and weve had yoyos ruined. I would not submerse it. I also wouldnt get caught with one in Texas.

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Grew up in LA. Tore the crappie up on em and channels too. But that was in LA. Wouldn't put them underwater.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC! I can't add anything to what's already been posted. :0a14:

10. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Like everyone says " illegal in Texas " i have about 15 new ones if you want them. :crazy:

11. drkrobotnik

drkrobotnik New Member

State:
    texas
    seems kinda like it takes all the fun out of it. :0a28:

12. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I think they're a lot of fun. I still have some I keep around for the occasional trip to LA/AR.

13. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I really find it hard to believe that the fun can be taken out of catching fish. It's fun no matter how you catch them. I'm for catching any way there is to catch em.

14. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    I ONLY FISH LAKE TRAVIS, I DONT KNOW WHY BUT I JUST CANT SEEM TO GO ANY WERE ELSE, I GUESS ITS BECAUSE THATS WERE MY DAD SHOWED ME THE ROPES

15. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    You took the words right out of my mouth. It's all good!

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yo-yo's are fun; I bought and used them for the first time two years ago; a dozen of the White's (carbon steel spring) and a dozen of the Mechanical Fishers (stainless steel spring), the next year I bought a dozen more of each.

They work just fine submerged in the water; sometimes you have no choice but to, sometimes you need to hide them, anyway you have to set them low enough to the water to keep from lifting the fish out of the water. Best bait is minnows on small hooks, #1 or 1/0, catch alot of crappie, bass, panfish, hybrid stripers (small ones), and catfish. The largest cat was 10# channel; I HAVE had yo-yos destroyed or disappear from too big of a fish getting on.

KY Dept. Fish & Wildlife Resources had no regulations regarding yo-yos when they sparked my interest, so I called Frankfort and talked to a wheel and he said to treat them as a limbline. So I do.

I like to use them very early in the spring from the boat dock before all the other boats arrive, it's right in the mouth of a river and it's a really good spot to have about 30 or so yo-yos out and every now and then a school of crappie or stripers will move through and you'll have a good mess of fish.

But actually, I'd just as soon trot and limbline. The yo-yos are a fun preliminary until the real fishing begins.

17. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I use them here in Arkansas where they are legal. Would not use if they are illegal. Not worth the ticket. Fishing is fun no matter what, and I see no different using a YO-YO than I would using a limb line!