The year of the Turtle!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dinkbuster1, Jul 2, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nighprowler and i went flattie fishing once again, and as usual i caught a freaking turtle! at least it was a snapper this time:big_smile: man that dude was really ticked off too! btw, fished 8hrs and caught 6 dinks 2-5lb:sad2: the spawn is definately on!!

Attached Files:

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    No doubt Dink that looks like some good soup material there

3. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    yeah that is a pretty big snapper.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Thats a nice turtle, but man those things are ugly.

5. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i got one about that size out of lake logan about 5 pm last night. got it in my cast net while i was catchin bait. he wasn't very friendly. I need a new net now:sad2:. I fished all night and only had one good hit on an 8 inch gill but i tried to set the hook to soon and missed it.

Josh

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Any of you guys got a easy way to clean the snappers? Also, maybe a good recipe? I've been dying to try some.

7. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Nice snapper pic! Ive caught big softshelled turtles while fishing for flats. Never thought of taking pics of them. Now that ive seen how cool yours look , i cant wait to snap a pic of my next turtle.

8. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i caught a small one last night about 6" across the shell, darn thing bit my thumb! still sore... short one hook!

9. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I picked up a snapper that was along a creek bank last week and got musked. Out of the hundreds of snappers I've handled this was the first time I've ever got musked. I just about puked, I've always heard that they stink now I know first hand.

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Dink nice eating size turtle.

dcaruthers go to the liabrary there is alot of info on turtles cleanng and fixing.

I like fried snapper taste like turtle and other meats. not just chicken. i never found a soup reciepe i liked.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice snapper, looks like some good eating right there.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hate turtles more than I do gar, especailly softshells, at least a snapper will take your bait, instead of pecking you to death.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow! That has to be the ugliest pic I've ever seen. I feel sorry for the snapper.! :big_smile: :tounge_out:

Just kidding Dink.

Your right Jack, those snappers will at least take your bait.

14. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I actually dont mind the softshells. They are funny lookin. Snappers are just a pain in the butt though.

15. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    thats a pretty good size snapper. but as everyone else i myself seem to get the soft shelled (leather backs) . man those things stink.

16. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    Alligator snapping turtles are sometimes caught around here but they are a protected species here in GA.

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Man that is one mean, ugly looking creature! The turtle is kinda scary too!:big_smile: :roll_eyes: :eek:oooh: :big_smile:

18. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Check out this snapper that we caught last night while flathead fishing! It's the biggest snapping turtle that I've ever seen. :eek:oooh: I'd like to know how old he is! (Turned it loose after photos were taken)

Attached Files:

19. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio

WOW!! :eek:oooh: That thing is HUGE. It is almost hard to believe it isn't photoshop it is so big!!