The Yak thread.

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by splitshot, Aug 17, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    We don't have a specific forum for the kayak fisherman so i thought we could start a thread where we can post our ideas and tips on fishing from a kayak. I have quit a few honey holes that Ive fished over the years, but this is the first time that i have been able to explore the area where i fish in detail. I didn't get a single hit while fishing but, i was able to gather a lot of info on depth and structure, as well as getting used to the way my yak handles. I'm also experimenting with ways to downsize my equipment. One very important lesson Ive learned is that urinating in a bottle while sitting in a yak is not a good idea. LOL Trail and error taught me that a ziplock bag is more effective and less messy. LOL. The channel cat in the area i fish do not bite well during the daylight hrs., so my next trip will be at night. Ill be using a led lantern that i just purchased, and my trusty led headlamp. Ive also included in my tackle a small air-horn and a whistle for safety purposes. Here are some pics. for ya. View attachment 29024

100_0132.jpg

View attachment 29026

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    That second one shows strong indications of constipation. Have ya figured that one out yet? LOL! Good "YAKKIN" to ya Steve. I would yield to that large vessel comein at ya. LOL! "RAMMIN SPEED" LOL!

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    As a matter of fact No!!!Any suggestions Buddy????? LOL Yeah the guy made me a little nervous, but he did slow down

5. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Hope to see this thread grow I have been toying with the idea of getting into yak fishing or canoe. we have the Pom De Terre river that runs into Truman Lake here allways wanted to explore up above where the bigger boats can not go.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I'm not a yak-man, but you will find me canoodiling around the lake once in a while in my Old town canoe.. Nothing forces you to fish with the bare minimal supplies and get back to the basics like fishing from a small vessel...

* I have found that a pair of sponsons attached to my canoe makes for a safe ride and also allows to stand up and stretch if you need to..

A~

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For a minute there, I thought it was a problem with the zip lock bag...:smile2:

8. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Don't have a kayak, but this gives me an idea for maybe a small water craft section under the boating section, for canoes, kayaks, and float tubes, MODS what do you think?. I love being in my canoe, and you do have to try to bare minimum fish when using smaller craft.

Aaron

TA2D

9. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    my nephew has his yak rigged with a fish finder. three ot four rod holders, a small tackle box and holder right in front of him this thing is really set up good. my self i just take half a dozen jugs and throw them out and hunt for a shade.we both really enjoy yak fishing but in seperate ways.lol

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Actually, I'm amazed at how much stuff I end up lugging along; in fact, I actually have a whole lot more stuff with me in the yak than when I bank fished.

The only reason I have considere down-sizing my cargo is the fear of rolling. This may be an unfounded fear in that it has never happened, even with a strong wind stirring up a heavy chop...but if that humongous boat were to kick up a mighty wake... :eek:oooh:

As always when yakking, tie everything down to be safe. :0a17: