The WWII Memorial

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jeremiad, Oct 3, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I was able to visit the WWII memorial in Washington, DC, for the first time. I had followed all of the controversy, and I myself had wondered how any memorial would be adequate to such an overwhelming event in our nation's history.

I was in for a surprise. The memorial was very impressive, and far more emotionally charged than I anticipated. There was quite a crowd gathered to view it, all sitting quietly or taking pictures.

The Vietnam memorial, though, remains the most incredible encounter with a piece of granite that I think anyone can ever have. If you have never walked by it, then you need to. This memorial is as significant as any great sight that you might dream of visiting. See this memorial...make certain that your children see it.

I walked slowly along the black granite wall, with my hat in hand and my wife and daughter by my side. My daughter said, "Wow, there must be a million men who died in this war!" I responded, "No, but there were too many who died."

I then asked her why the names of those who died in WWII were not inscribed on the WWII memorial. The answer: there are far too many who died...

I am no pacifist. This nation is worth dying for if necessary. I also support the war in Iraq wholeheartedly. On the other hand, war is terrible and comes with a terrible cost. This is a message that our children need to hear.

The following image of the memorial facing the Pacific theatre side. The memorial is mirror-imaged on the left, but memorializing the Atlantic operation.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I went there last spring and could agree with you more.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I think that the names of the fallen SHOULD be put in.
    Bill

4. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Good post, thanks for sharing

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    GREAT post!

Just so happens we were at the WW2 Memorial this morning. Of all the War Memorials here in DC, it is the most impressive. Of course it should be for more lives were lost.

The first picture is at the entrance. Shows the Lincoln Memorial in the background.
    The next 2 shots, I took from the top of the Washington Memorial. Shows the WW2 Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial.
    One is a zoom shot of the WW2 Memorial.

Attached Files:

• ww2.jpg
      ww2.jpg
      File size:
      54 KB
      Views:
    • wm.jpg
      wm.jpg
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
    • wm.2.jpg
      wm.2.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:
  6. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great post and pics. Thanks for sharing.

7. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    WOW Dayton, wonderful pictures! They are really nice. Thanks for posting them. Maybe one of these days I'll have the oppertunity see it as well.

8. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Great post, thanks for sharing .

:smile2:

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    great post an pics ty for them both

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Amy.

I hope you do get to see all the Memorials. I wish every American could visit our Capital City. It took me 71 years to make it here.

11. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    great post and ty for sharing the pics

12. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Dayton (olefin) Thank you for sharing those pictures. The ones taken from the top of the Washington Monument are very impressive.