The worst thing about fishing!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Jul 12, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just got back from fishing. Spent a couple of hours on the river. Caught a nice little 4 lb channel. Gonna throw him in my pond and let him clean up and maybe re catch him this fall. I have the ability now to go fishing when the bug gets to me. In the past it was always a planned trip. Get things organized, shut the office down, make sure somebody would do the chores, find or buy bait, make sure you had gas, keep everybody happy so there would be no problems and go fishing.

I always found out that the worst part of the trip, even now, was leaving! You get there, you set up, whether a night trip or a day trip. Get your poles organized, unload the junk, get to where you are going to cast. Check the water and flow. Examine your cast placements, bait up, cast and sit down and wait. You may or may not catch a thing. But you watch the water go by. You watch the water snakes slide past the bank. A muskrat comes ashore and eats grass at your feet. A red wing blackbird lands on the dead fall in front of you and gets a drink or eats bugs. Vultures swing overhead looking for a meal- and you watch your poles, and you watch your poles.

The time goes by, too fast. You start looking at your watch or cellphone clock. I got another hour, then a half hour, then it's over. I gotta go. Back to whatever or whoever you left. Your organize your junk. You pack up, take some poles out, but you leave one pole out. You leave it in until the last second and finally pull it in. Removing the remnants of the bait and tossing it in the river, you sigh and go home. This is the worst part of fishing, until the next time, and then it starts all over again.

How do you guys handle it?

Postbeetle

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I try not to let to much time pass before I go back out, LOL!!

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    whaddaya mean "handle it"? your on a website named the brotherhood of catfishermen i dont think any of us "handle it". LOL! seriously you hit the nail on the head with that part about the last rod.

i guess i "handle" having to stop fishing momentarily by wickedly obsessing about it until i go back.

good post john
    j.d.

4. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    besides being skunked with about 200 lbs of access equipment would be the hella-sunburns i got from forgetting sunblock lol wanna looklike a lizard? get a really really bad sunburn almost to the point of skin cancer and then use some generic aloe lotion that isnt strong enough, i could have been an extra in a zombie movie from the shoulders up! lol but i still havent learned my lesson! in fact im going to go fishing later and hopefully i'll remember this time! lol sunscreen is our friend! sun is bad! lol hope this helps some of the "manly" i dont need that crap types out there being miserable and dizzy from being microwaved in the good ol sun doesnt feel too good! lol
    "mommy can i be a human pork rind?" hehehe :crazy:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Since I got officially retarded I go when I want and leave when I want. Works for me. Stiill sometimes things do get in the way.

6. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Leaving is the only thing I hate about fishing.

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey jc i cant wait till i can be retarded like that! do you think that if you hit me in the head with a hammer i could quit working and fish when i want? jk

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    John,
    Rem acu tetigisti
    Packing up and going home is the worst...W

9. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

When I get retarted, I'm buying a housebout, that way I never have to leave!

For me, leaving is the worst also, and I'm one that leaves one pole in the water until everything is packed up and my Daughter has been sitting in the car for 30 minutes and asking me, aren't you ready to go yet?

I just know that big kitty is setting there waiting for the right time to hit?

Ken

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I usually fish about 12 or 14 hours at a clip and spend at least 4 nights a month on the boat (3 nights last week since the wife was at the in-laws:big_smile:). Since I pretty much night fish, I start getting twitchy earlier and earlier in the evening since it's going to be light soon. Lately about midnight I start getting antsy 'cause it'll be light in 5 hours. Silly, I know, but that's fishin'. But my trick to not minding going home is to stay out so long it's actually kind of nice to get home and get in the shower. :wink:

11. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I hate it when the peace and quiet of a beautiful evening on the water is interrupted when that pesky clicker goes off...really grinds my gears.

12. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dang guys, I need to find me a fishing buddy that belongs to the BOC. I thought I was the only one who left poles in while I was putting everything else up! :eek:oooh:

13. richinchrist1022

richinchrist1022 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have to say that I no longer feel alone with leaving my one very hopeful pole in the water until the very last minute.:eek:oooh:I hate the feeling of those last 30-40 minutes before leaving for the day. Happy fshing ya'll.

14. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Robert Frost said it best, ". . . but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

-- Rich

15. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i fish every day its the way i live caint get enup of it every time i leave im wondeing wile i pull up my rods a world record could have been lookin at my hook and im not gonna catch it cause im relling in and leaving lol

16. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im so desperate that I leave both poles in the water until I have everything else in the trunk. it was hard last time out. I caught my first hybrid striped bass as I was packing up. and it was a biggin!! I so had to be dragged home after getting it in.

17. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    John,

I talk about leaving for about an hour or so, prior to actually leaving, I guess to talk myself into it. Been known to stay out all night, fishing, just cause I could. Now what really kills me is the gross black hands and nails I have from fishing, but then I keep them, from working in the flowers, too, so no matter..................:tounge_out::cool2:

Interesting thread. Thanks for posting it!

Take care.
    Cheryl

18. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When everyone else is ready to go we all pack everything in our trucks. Then everyone else gets there poles in except me. I leave just my poles out and wait about 15to30 mins. after everyone else leaves just in case they are waiting for us to throw our bait in the water and leave to decide to feed. But i think all it does is prolong my misery.

19. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    "The worst thing about fishing!"

I like it all . From loading up, sitting on bank, camp fire, packing up, the fish fry later. :big_smile:

I like it more when making a camping trip out of it.

I guess there is one thing I dont like about fishing!
    Forgetting to bring the toilet paper. :crazy:

had to adapt to my environment during those forgetful times. I also learned the hard way how to identify poison ivy leaves. :embarassed: