The worst night ever

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by FlatGetter, Jun 20, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went out fishing last Thursday night for flatheads, I decided to try this new spot its a big logjam that runs for about 100 yds. on this flat its not deep only about 3-4 ft.The spot is like a ravine at the head of the line off cover. I get baited up and get my lines in the water. I recasted my left line out a little futher and it must have landed in front of this flathead, he takes it and I get him in and he was like 15". Then about a half hour later I took a hard hit on my left pole and missed him. while getting baited up my right pole goes down It was bending hard it let up a little then and slammed it back down, I finally get to it and set the hook and right after I set the hook I heard a pling sound, and my 80lb. spiderwire got snapped. So then I was mad and I was fishing with my other pole cause I was afraid I was gonna miss another one. Yhen I see my rod tip go down and on the hook set I hit the freespool button, then my line got tangelled around my rod tip. I was alrady pist by then. Got that line back out there. Then about a half-hour later I see my rod tip slowly go down so I picked up my rod and set the hook I felt something on there I thought he got tangeled up. He stsrts to get mad then he was fighting hard I was thinking this is a 30lb.fish then he started fighting harder, So I knew he was bigger thean 30lbs.He ran up and down the bank stripping drag I finally got to see him all I seen was

2. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    alot of fish I got him wore out cause I knew it was gonna be hard to land him. The place I was sitting was slopped then about a foot drop off.I laid down on my stomach held the rod tip with my left hand. I was thiking who I can call out to take pics. I had his head laying in this beaver rundown and I couldnt reach him so I pulled on the line to raise his head the hook came out and he slowly swam away. I thought I was gonna cry. I think he was atleast 45" and about 40lbs would have been my biggest flathead. I fished a little longer than went home. The End.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I feel your pain, better days are ahead, at least that is what I have been told.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    It happens brother, better luck next time.

5. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yup good luck next time..

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont understand i thought you said you had a bad day i must be missing something it sounds like to me you had a great day of fishing all that action that must of been some kind of night

7. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    not only you found a new spot to fish i always like catching flatties in shallow water it seems like they fight harder maybe thats just me

8. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Sounds to me you had a blast! Anything to keep you fishing. A bad night, to me, would only have to be not being able to go fishing.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I think you need to get back out there and pull one of those big guys out! It might have been frustrating for you, but it could have been worse. At leats they didnt steal any of your rod and reels.