The winter night bite

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by TN Greg, Dec 11, 2008.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
  2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have never tried night fishing in the winter. I have trouble staying out there all day in the warmest part of the day. I dont recall hearing anyone else trying it either. Prolly for the same reason. That and a dip in water as cold as we have now is fatal. Night fishing has more hazards than day fishing at best.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Have to agree with BOB here big Greg. Night fishing with water temps in the 30's is inviting a disaster. If your partner goes in, chances are pretty slim hell be getting back in the boat with you, and wont resurface till spring.

The reward is NOT worth the risk in my very humble opinion. Time of usefull consciousness in 30 something degree water is less than a minute if my feeble memory serves me correctly.

My humble advice is daytime only, with a partner, and not taking ANY type of chances. Move slow in the boat, stay away from the barges (not anchoring above them) and listening to the little man in the back of your head will serve you in good stead. Even then, one could make a pretty strong argument for safety against fishing in the winter at all, but I know we all do it. Just dont want to see anyone get hurt or worse out there. OH YEAH, wear those vest. :wink:

I think you can mitigate the safety issues by fishing the slack, little to no current areas and be pretty safe. (This is where the fish are anyhow)
    Just one opinion, hope it helps.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Define all please.:wink:

5. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Tom, EVERYONE knows not to include you in any outdoor activities after September. All means all of us not smart enough to enter the cave and stay there till May

6. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Not sure what happened with my post, but you fellas make good points. Be rest assured, we take special care -- but my risk management may still be in question upon further reflection. We didn't travel far, fast or fish current for that matter......but that may not be enough.

Anyway, the bite stunk anyway. Managed to catch a monster goldeye and a few small ones to try that spot where we found 'em stacked up. Tried them from four different anchor spots and only hooked one. Lost it of course.

The fish were there, though. Nanners hugging the bottom in 40 feet of water would suggest a cat, I think. Does anyone have a gauge on how deep the asians are holding in the water column this year? I know in the summer they were suspended fairly well, and you could distinguish.

I wish I could pick my fishing times.

7. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Just a matter of priorities. You wanna be rich and happily married or catch fish????

8. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Well put, Bob. I guess it's that simple.:roll_eyes:

9. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    my vote would be to catch fish at least ya can throw the ones back ya dont want

10. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I could not agree more Tim:big_smile:

11. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Now that's funny :big_smile:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Greg, I marked Asians in several spots yesterday from 40 feet all the way up to within 5 feet of the surface.

In a couple spots, there were so many packed densely together, my entire screen turned yellow. Crazy.

Doesnt mean you werent seeing catfish that deep though. If you were seeing 4-5 arches down that deep probably was kittens. The Asians are in huge schools right now. .