The Way We Were...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Daytons whale post got me thinking...how good, really, were "the good old days"?

i am not real old, but i can remember a lot of stuff i wouldn't want to have to live with again. a lot of life was brutal years ago.technology has made the world much different today than it was 30 years ago, much less 100 years ago. i remember when radios, heaters, cigarette lighter and ashtrays were options in cars.

i had a grandfather that worked on the railroad til he retired. he has been dead many years. he used to take a steel pipe or baton and walk the cars while they were moving. bums would hang onto the steel ladders between cars to hide from him. when he found them he would hit their knuckles with the baton til they let go. if they fell between the cars, so be it. today we would call that assult, if not attempted murder. then, it was part of the job. if the railroad found out he had been easy on someone he got in trouble.

let's hear some stories from some of our senior members - was it really the good old days or does time just dim the pain and harsh reality?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I might be a little younger than you but I remember all of that and springboxes

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    lol...all true, John, good memories abound whatever the time line was.

let me say this a different way. we have all heard some oldtimer lament the good old days. i just wanted to draw a comparison between day to day then and now, hopefully letting technological differences aid the contrast.

30 or more years ago i would not have known any of the people on the BOC. technology has enriched my life in that respect. that is one difference i wouldn't want to miss.

i had some good times with a cane pole and worm, but i wouldn't want to trade one for my shimano spinner.

40 years ago a car trip of 100 miles was a big deal. today people drive that much to work.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Here I thought you had a soft spot for Barbara Streisand AKA "BABS" LOL:lol:

Some thing were better in our history and some things were not so good.

Baseball was better in the old days. As well as many professional sports.

People in this country were not as politicly correct when I was a kid

When I was a kid any store would sell a kid a pack of cigerettes:angry:

Cars are way more reliable today but somehow lack artistic style

The internet "WOW" couldn't be imagined in the old days

The news is instant these days, everyone knows whats going on real fast, in the old days the reporter had to respond the news to the editor and then it would take time until the paper was printed.

People way back didn't have all the bells and wistles of today like TV, AC, CD, DVD and heck, we got things called remote controls

Cell phones, Capt. Kirk had one in the late 60s! We just gotta fiqure out that whole transporter thing! LOL

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I can remember beggin mom for a pair of "Coverse Chuck Taylor" sneakers and her sayin, "Are you nuts boy! They are $8!" LOL!

Also. What I used to do 35 years ago all nite now takes all nite to do! LOL!

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Im only 46, but us "kids" would go everywhere in town and out of town on foot all summer long with no problems. No fear of being abducted or killed. Just did not happen.
    We would walk a couple of miles to Olathe Lake and go fishing or snake hunting. We would walk to all the local lakes. We would stay out all day long.
    Im talking like 4th to 6th grade here.

I would not let my kids at that age to even play in the front yard unattended now let alone walk to the lake.

Those days are gone here.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Somehow I don't think your talkin about tying snell knots! LOL

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm kind of like John, except I may be a few days older. As 12-13 yr old kids I remember not having to have a worry in the world about going down to the river, or anywhere else for that matter, and fishing all night. One of our favorite spots was abig clump of willows between the railroad tracks and the river. The power company released their water they used to cool their business in the plant. The hobos' would roll off the trains at the "hothole" to bathe, start a big ol' bonfire in a clearing in the willows and raise hell and drink bay rum. All this time we weren't 20 feet away fishing and having the time of our life. No worries... I miss that feeling...

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i just went over and got a drink of water out of the faucet. no big deal, right? i am on a well.

anyone besides me remember having to pull a rope to get water out of a well?
    how about going to the outhouse to use the bathroom?...i think that was mentioned in an earlier post..

how about manual wringer washers? don't tell me your life isn't easier now.

i must agree with many of you tho - i too lament the safety we took for granted. i used to run the river all day with my brother and or cousin with no worry except for snakes and a whipping from dad for being gone past dark:roll_eyes:

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    We have come a long ways in fifty years! I'll just leave it at that!:cool2:

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I graduated high school in 1972, most of us drove or rode to school with a buddy from the age of 13 on. During hunting season, specially deer season, we'd go hunting before school, drive to school and leave our guns in the trucks and take off hunting again as soon as school was out. If some one killed a deer before school we'd take it to the agri shop at school and gut it, then if it was cool enough leave it there, if not run it home and then come back to school. Pocket knives were not an option, they were a requirement.

Things that are better now: air conditioners in cars, homes, tractors and businesses these were rare as a kid.

Roads, lots more paved now than then, dirt roads make great memories but are terrible to live and drive on.

Optics, glasses, binoculars and scopes are a lot better now.

boats, in the late 60's and 70's a 16 foot flatbottom with an 18 hp motor was a Cadillac, the 18 hp motor was as big as a 90 hp now.

Trolling motors, bets a sculling paddle.

Rods, reels and line, I remember them old bait casters that the handles turned when you cast, braided line and solid fiberglass rods you could just about tie in a knot.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I was born in 66, Im still a pup to some of you guys hehe..
    A Few of the things I recall:
    I remember playing with neighborhood kids until dark, kick the can/bucket, wiffle ball, baseball,chasing lightning bugs, cowboys and indians, or just using our imagination and making up games...
    ANYTHING launched into space was a MAJOR deal and dominated the news.
    I remember stretching out with a pillow in the back seat on long car trips while my Dad drove down the road at 75mph. Anything over an 1.5 hour ride was a MAJOR haul heh..
    Getting all the cool STP stuff when my pop would stop at the gas station and THE ATTENDANT pumped your gas, washed your window, checked your oil, etc. You usually didnt get out unless you had to use the john.
    BIG, Heavy, cars with Big V8's in em....
    Window service (where they put the tray on your window) at Steak N Shake.
    Seeing PONG for the first time thinking how cool it was...
    Buying a TV/Washer/Drier was a HUGE purchase (we went over a year without TV, ) AND they Lasted forever!!
    Related to that, Steros were console, about the length of a coffe table all wood and another piece of furniture.. Least if you were "High end" heheh...
    Taking a dollar bill into the White Hen Pantry and buying enough candy for 3 days.
    Hehehe, hearing the Grown ups Moan about the High price of gas/sugar/milk
    Saying the Pledge of Alliengence first thing at school in the morning.
    The technological marval of playing with a cassette recorder the first time.
    The dream of flying cars!!!! (where they at dammit, they said there would be flying cars!!!)

and Last but not Least, Hearing the Older and Elderly gripe about how bad the youth of time were and how the country is going to hell in a handbasket :tounge_out: :tounge_out: :big_smile: :lol:

13. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I remember when we only had dialup and man was it slow. Wait a minute. That was only a couple of months ago.

I remember going to the outhouse to take a crap. I remember stealing watermelons. I remember coming home from school and walking to the tobacco patch and working til suppertime.

Yeah, the good ol' days. You could go to the store and buy a pop and a bologna sandwich for 15 cents. A pack of cigarettes for a quarter.

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Boy all them posts sure do bring back a lot of memerioes,but I remember one that wasn't mentioned. Maybe it didn't happen in your area.I remember the gas war here in Louisiana,Mo.Used to buy gas for a whoppin 21 cents a gallon. That was late 50's early 60's.
    Thanks for all the memerioes ,boy I miss those days.

15. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I started working at a Shell station when I was 16 (1966) and gas was about 32 cents a gallon then. Kerosene was 11 cents. I can remember gas wars when gas got down to about 25 cents sometime around the 70's though.

Remember when a quart of oil came in a can instead of a bottle?

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    hehe, and you had the spout you jammed in to the top.. Made it look like you opened it with a "church key" (another older item every house had)

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Interesting thread Phil!

Well I never remember not having running water at the kitchen sink. (if the windmill wasn't broke) You see we had 2 x 55 gal galvanized barrels about half way up the windmill for water pressure.

Mother made all our soap, I never washed my hair in nothing but lye soap until I went in the service. (never had no dandruff while using lye soap) We raised what we eat, had a frozen food locker at town to keep our beef. Eat mostly chicken in the summer. Killed hogs when it got cool. Help fatten those hogs with jackrabbits, always carried a 22 on the tractor.
    We had a first class outhouse.. is was built by the WPA. Bet most people on BOC never heard of the WPA.

First electricity was in 49, I was 13. I spent the first 13 years of my life in a small 2 room house. Big job to wire that two room house! Two pull chain light sockets and two outlets. More outlets than we needed for we didn't get a refrig until we moved to AR. The only thing we got was mom got a iron, then she quit using her gasoline iron.

Outhouse was still in service at my wife's house when we got married in 56.
    Her folks got a bathroom in about 1959.

Locks... our house had no door locks that worked.

I could go on but this stuff bores young people or it always did our kids. LOL

18. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i remember walking homefrom baseball in the summer and eating 2 or 3 differenttypes of cherrys, apples, pears, pitches apricots, grapes from neighbors yards. Then when i got home mom would be mad because i couldn't eat supper. When i was little we had 2 tv stations that didn't come on until 4 pm. We sat on the porch and talked to the neighbors in the evening. All the windows in the house were open and the summer smells, lilac bushes, fruit trees, all kinds of flowers, fresh cut grass, the air before a rain. I miss these things. I do like modern heating and a/c. I don't miss the potbellied stove when it is 0 outside and the fire went out.

19. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    We had a first class outhouse.. is was built by the WPA. Bet most people on BOC never heard of the WPA.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost all of the building at the school I went to were built by the WPA, as well as most of the bridges around here, most of the bridges have been replaced but a lot of the buildings at the school are still in use. My parents went to school there as well as me, my kids and hopefully someday my grand kids. Still about the same size as when I went, 500 kids, K through 12.

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Olefin, what is a "gasoline iron"?