The water has arrived

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    UP SIXTEEN feet from Monday, and still rising! Glad to see it, but I hope it stabilizes in a day or so, so I can get back to fishin'. Too treacherous right now with floating debris.
    BB in SC

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    ........dang bill........is the PeeDee out of her banks? we got a bunch of rain here too. they were pulling water pretty hard through the lake yesterday.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I wish I could head out and go look at Hartwell : (

Looks like I wont be out till next week. You folks enjoy the water but keep er safe and g'luck.

-Jim-

6. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    The Saluda's way up too, but I haven't had a chance to check Greenwood out yet.....maybe tomorrow. :big_smile:

7. countryboy1616

countryboy1616 New Member

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    Bill in your opinion do the fish seem to bite better when the water is falling or rising and also how does the overall hieght of the water affect this. I know in last few years it's been so low almost all summer. Anyone else please put your 2 cents worth in also.

Rohn

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Rising or falling affects the bite somewhat. Generally, rising waters turn the bite on. I have found though, that there is NO real set bite pattern pertaining to rising or falling water. Some days after those late afternoon thunder showers, is a good time to fish. Heavy showers wash night crawlers and insects into the water, thus sometimes creating a feeding frenzy. Of course, with ridiculously rising water like we have right now, it's best to stay AWAY from the river as it is too dangerous, and it would be hard to fish at all. The best way to assure good catches is to go, go, go. Rising, falling, or in between, you won't catch 'em sitting home. Different water levels warrant different strategies. When it is very low, I take a different approach as to where I fish in the river. It's easy to figure out fish patterns when the river is very low, but I'm kinda lost when the river is full of water. :)
    Bill in SC

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill I couldnt have said it better myself. The HIGH waters can be fished once all of the floating debries have calmed down. The fish do tend to bite better on a rise but only because the water levels cool considerblly and the oxygen level increase. I do agree with Bill fish as often as you can to learn patterns. Once you can learn the fish patterns it will take alot o the quessswork out of fishing to an extant. :wink:

10. countryboy1616

countryboy1616 New Member

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    Thanks Bill and James. I am putting a new axle under my boat this weekend and Saturday I'm taking my dad to the thing at the Darlington race track.

Rohn

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Rohn come on down to the BOC gathering at Rocks Pond on Sept 12th-13th.

The river is going to crest down here in a few days at almost 22ft and Lake Tillery is above flood stage so there is much more to come.