The Walnut River

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by arkrivercatman, Feb 8, 2008.

1. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Ahhh the Walnut River. A river close to heart for many us. It seems a lot of people have gotten their personal best flatheads on this beautiful, dependable and violent river.My memories of the dam in Winfield go back as far as memories do. I can remember one night we were fishing at the dam and it started RAININ so we decided to go to sleep.We woke up a couple of hours later and you couldnt even tell there was a dam there.That was my first experience with a flash flood and one I will never forget.My Dad was from Oklahoma so we primarily fished Kaw Lake and below the dam but everytime on the way home we would stop at the dam, fish for awile and dig through truck for change for a snack for the ride home.I can remember camping at the Walnut park in Ark City when I was young.I woke up in the mornin to get some doughnuts out of the truck and there was a drunk sleeping in the truck.It scared the crap out of me.My Dad always kept a 410 in the the sleeve of the seat cover. He woke the guy up with it told him to get the hell out of there.He started sayin he thought it was his truck(we were the only ones there) so my Dad fired a warning shot. He ran so fast I think he fell three times.That was my first time running into crazy people on the river.I couldnt even eat the doughnuts knowing there was a bum in the truck.lol. El Dorado also goes way back for me too.Thats pretty much where I learned to fish.Its a really nice family friendly place to take small kids and at the same time it a great place to catch a big flathead.El Dorado Lake is my first memory of a lake.As a kid all the trees in the water was fascinating to me.I havent been to El Dorado in probably 10 years but I can still remember it vividly. I can see the old rock quarry and the boat ramp that we used.It seemed like my Dad would drive for hours down dirt roads to get to it.Now hours seem like seconds.I plan on going there this year to see how much it has changed.Anyways I just wanted to tell my little piece of the Walnut River.The Arkansas is my first love because thats where my Dad is and thats where my heart is.I have more memories on the Arkansas River than anywhere else.But the Ol Walnut River runs a close second, with its narrow picturesque banks, deep holes and its monster flatheads.Now that my Dad is gone I find myself going to the river every chance I get, just to close my eyes and listen to the dam, smeel the river and go back in time.

I have attached some pictues of the Walnut you might find intersting.

Attached Files:

2. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Here are a few more.

Attached Files:

3. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Ooops! I think I accidentaly posted in the wrong section.Sorry, feel free to move.Thanks
    Kyle

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Nice pictures! A little bit of history there.

5. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I've had some good times on the Walnut too. Use to set alot of limb lines on it got my personal best Flatty (58lb) out of that little river and a heck of alot of good memories.
    Loop

6. SheLuvsCats

SheLuvsCats New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh my, I remember all those nights of standing in the river and fishing for the BIG cats....... It is so beautiful there, and NEVER lacking in flatheads and cats....... Almost hate to admit it but fished there a lots of years...... The only bad thing is getting a BIG fish on the line and watching your POLE head down the river..... Oh yes, been there done that one...... Enjoy the Walnut as it will be there for many years to come.:big_smile:

7. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Now how far is this from Kansas City?

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Its about 215 miles and about a four hour drive.

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    You the man Kyle! I don't think you can find a stretch of the Walnut between Gordon and Udall that I have not been chest deep in! Beginning when I was old enough to beg my mom to let me go by myself on my bike (about 4th grade) I used to ride about 4 miles down an old dirt road to the "south bridge" south of Douglass with a can full of worms and wade from that bridge down the river about 3 miles, when it finally got deep enough I could not touch any more, hitting all the holes in between. MAN! those were good times! There used to be a mill south of town there, with a wheel in the river to turn the mill. I remember an old picture in the Douglass Museum of a flathead caught in the wheel, jamming it up from turning. That thing was WELL over 100lbs, legend says they had to cut a section of the wheel out to get the fish free.

Can you imagine how good that river would be if not for the refineries and stuff that has happened up stream in the past 50 years or so? Old timers say there used to be flatties close to 100 lbs taken on a regular basis, but then the river was almost completely sterile due to oil spills back in the 60's.

There is a guy here named Calvin, he can tell stories about the Walnut, and probably has spent more time on it than anyone alive, short of my Dad maybe. He and my Dad used to fish with an ol' boy named Garland, who could catch fish out of a pot hole on the Turnpike if you let him. They can tell some good stories about that river, and all the waters around here.

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks Jeff.I can only imagine the river in its prime.Its sad that the river was so trashed.I believe the story about the mill.Im sure that river has had more than one record flathead swimmin in that muddy water. It seems the Walnut has more history and legends than any other river in KS.I cant wait until its time to go again.

11. mciver

mciver New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i never have fished there but i'll go sometime

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Where is Calvin , Ive not seen him on the BOC lately ?

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I haven't seen or heard anything of him either. Him or Charlie for that matter. I know they both hunt pretty hard this time of year, probably busy with that. I think Calvin traps some too, I am sure he will be around when it starts warming up.

14. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I have fished the Walnut quite a bit. Lived in Winfield for 18 years, fished there and the city lake quite a bit. I remember once when I was a kid, maybe 10, maybe. My dad, uncle, sister and I all went down there and was fishing near the ninth street bridge in winfield. My dad and uncle went to check some bank lines and left us there. Well my sister, that is 2 years younger than me, starts to pull in her line and says that she is snagged. So I start to help her. Well it ended up being a nice cat, probably about 8lbs. For a couple kids it was exciting. We didnt know how to unhook it, had no stringer or anything. So a guy that was working for the city was there bulldozing and watching us. He came down and helped us and gave a chunk of rope to tie it to. Worked pretty good. Needless to say Dad never left us alone again, and my sister started going more and more often.

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    hey this year id like to go to winfield i have a boat if someone knows the river:cool2:

16. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great pics, thanks for posting