The upper James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by mountiancat, Jul 15, 2006.

1. mountiancat

mountiancat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hey people, been a while since I could put our reports out there. Finally got out again last night and checked out a new bank spot.
    We were late getting started and had headed for this new spot with musky on our mind. Reportly last Fri. a young fella pulled out a 44".....
    Anyway we set up and threw out for cats with two poles in the feeder creek for musky. Caught a small blue out of the creek. About 20 minutes later caught a small flattie right at the mouth of the creek.

These were my first two fish since coming home so I was kinda satisfied!!!!!:big_smile:

Stay tuned for more reports from our reaches of the really upper James!!

2. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    nice, i wonder with the 44 did they release so u can catch it again :)

3. mountiancat

mountiancat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    from what I heard they didn't. I wish they had, man I love big musky almost as much as catfish!

4. mountiancat

mountiancat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Had two groups of friends go Sat. nite. Only have report from one. Randy and Shannon took Randy's boat and fished Big Island. Helped Randy clean three nice eatin blues and his son's first flathead yesterday. Says they put back about 6 more. everything ranging from the 3-4# flattie Jr caught to 10# Blues........musta been a nice nite!!!

Jesse (Gumripper), Billy and Josh went back to the new spot we tried out Fri...........No report yet.
    Man I was wore slam out after my first full week home and fishing Fri. nite... I couldn't make it with either one of these fellas. My stamnia will return. Gotta go to work!!

5. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    whats up man,good to see your still kickin,when you wanna go fishing??

6. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    anytime man...hehe

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Headed up to the upper james for a float trip on sunday. Arcadia to snowden. Mostly a smallmouth trip but will be taking the cat poles for fishing at night too. Hopefully we can get into a nice flattie or two. Prolly will try to catch some small bait fish with fly rod. Would a muskie bite what you would typically use for flatheads? Thanks in advance.

Wheelmobile07

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bream and Red Eyes are my first choices for Flats. Have fun and good luck.

9. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    congrats on catching some fish yhey mau not have been what you were after but they're fish

10. mountiancat

mountiancat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Dang Trey!!!!!!!! I've been so busy since Friday night until now I wished I had seen your post earlier, a couple of us would have loved to floated that with ya, with exception to the Balcony Falls area, I'm still not sure about floating through there, that's a very dangerous stretch of the James.
    For the Muskie, we usually use some large lures and live bait. If they are feeling aggressive I think they'll demolish whatever comes by them.

11. gumripper

gumripper New Member

State:
    va
    Me and mountaincat cought a couple nice turtles this past weekend on the james. and will be returning this weekend to try it again.

12. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Good Luck to yall, didn't catch one turtle when i went fishing with cut bait.

Wheelmobile07