The Upper Illinois River

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by themychal, Dec 13, 2009.

1. themychal

themychal New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys, just moved to oklahoma from california, loving it so far! wanted to get some info on the upper section of the illinois river, above tenkiller. What kind of cats do we have in here? What's my best bet for catching them? anyone want to go fishing with me? I'm a bass guy but figure i might as well learn the art of catfishing since I finally have some monster cats to catch...

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. We have all three in the river. You will catch more channels than anything. I have caught some good flatheads in the spring and summer. The only problem with fishing above the bridge at Tahlequah is the floaters. They will drive you crazy. I fish mostly on Ft Gibson and Tenkiller. Tenkiller is developing into a good blue cat lake. Ft Gibson has some monsters in it. After you have ten posts send me a PM and we will try to get together.

3. themychal

themychal New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the quick response! I'm located above most of the float areas I think, I'm up near kansas (the city, not the state). Right next to the 412. What types of bait should I try out in the river this time of year? I dont own any catfish gear really, i've been using my bass gear and one heavy duty ocean rod, i know i need to get a better setup. do you have any recommendations on that also? thanks, i'm glad there's someone on here close to me!

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Mychal welcome aboard to the BOC from Ohio

5. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Welcome to BOC, you've got a lotta great people here that can point you to some mighty fine fishing.

6. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Secret 7 will wear the channel cats out on that river.........I love fishing it there! fast current in front of the wood piles or deep holes. Its loaded with channels!

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Jeff's right. Secret 7 is the go to bait for channels. Even in the winter, because there is enough current to spread the scent. I will be ready after the first of the year. Got two tubs of Secret 7 and Santa is going top bring more.

8. themychal

themychal New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well if any of you guys are ever in the area shoot me off a message and we can go do some fishing. I've been itching to catch some catfish but i'm a catfish noob. I'll definitely buy myself some secret 7 though. Thanks guys.