The universal hook size and style

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Chief, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i'm trying to settle on one style and size of hook for all my catfishing. for channel cats i use cutbait and for flatheads i like to use live bluegill in the 3-6inch range. would the eagle claw 6/0 kahle hold up to a 35lb flathead? or would 7/0 be a better choice? i've picked the kahle because i can still tightline it like a circle hook for channel cats. and free-spool the flatheads.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Excelent Choice Sir. Go with the7/0 J.M.H.O. Bigcatman0816.

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Like The Eagle Claw 7/o.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I agree but I like the regular J-hook for all around hooks.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I think the 7/0 would make a pretty solid all round hook.

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i got 6/0 that i use for flatties with whole gills... but i am gonna get some bigger ones soon
    but they did the job

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe that almost everone who gets their line wet has a preference for a stype of hook. Thats okay. But I think your limiting your self if you settle for one style and one size. You should have a small variety. Hooks are relatively cheap, but can make a big difference during a fishing trip.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I keep a pretty good assortment of hooks in the box but if I had to choose one hook it would be the eagle claw nickle plated kahle in the 7/0. Catfish connection sells them for $5.00 for a box of 50 hooks.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer 3/0-6/0 for channels, and 7/0 to 10/0 for flatheads..With that being said I once caught a 27-lb flathead on a size 6 hook while carp fishing, yes A size 6, not 6/0

10. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That is like one of those "if you were stranded on a deserted island questions", but yes if you were to have only one size that would do well.

11. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I would never limit myself to just one style or size of hook. Since, there have been to many times I have wished that I had "this or that" hook for a particular sized bait and/or method of fishing. Hence, I always carry a wide assortment of hooks.

But, if you know specifically that you are just going to be fishing for cats and nothing else "and" know for sure that you are going to just be fishing a certain sized bait. I would base my selection of style and size of hook, based upon the size and type of bait being fished.