The Ultimate fishing kayak?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by rush_60, May 9, 2009.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I came across this one last night, and have to say I'm impressed. They really focused on making this thing for the fisherman. My only gripe is that its pretty wide, at 38 inches. But if I was trully hunting trophy cats from a kayak I think I would want that extra stability. Check out the video http://www.hobiecat.com/media/video/video_pro_angler.html

Here is a review given on kayakfishingmagazine.net http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/forums/showthread.php?t=512&highlight=hobie+mirage+angler

I havent found the price yet but I'm sure its steep. What do you guys think.

2. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have heard they are very nice and i think they run around $1,400.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The Wadefish 2.0 will probally be my next build. Probally build 2 of those as well.

4. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I talked to one of the Hobie fishing team members when I was in Florida and he loved the pro-angler and is waiting on his to arrive!

Then while on the lake, a boss from a previous job called me to tell me that he just got one! I hope to meet him sometime soon for a test drive!

At 38 inches wide, is is almost a hybrid between a boat and a kayak, you can even stand up on the end of it! It also weigh's 130ish pounds rigged, so you would need a trailer or a friend to help with loading/unloading. I believe the retail is around 2200 or possibly more.

If I had the extra cash, I would consider buying one, it looks like a fishing machine!! Kind of like a big center console of kayaks!!!

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You could do the wide Wadefish for around 700. 32 inches wide by 15 feet long at half the weight.
    Not only that, but set it up like you want it.
    It even comes with tumblehome and bow flair for the surf.
    Self bailing cockpit.

This design is a pretty cool build. It's built almost like a boat within a boat.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=WF15-32

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That does look like an outstanding water craft.

The pessimist in me can't help but whine, however. First, this craft is too heavy. Second, it is too expensive.

The whole attraction that I had to kayak fishing was cost and convenience. If I had to pay the big bucks, I would have purchased a big boat. $1,400 is definitely more than I would ever want to pay for a kayak (even the kevlar/composite hulls). I figure that most fishermen are going to have a trade-off point where the cost of kayaking outweighs the advantages of having one.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Hobie, per se (even though they are a price leader [in the expensive direction]). I think that all kayak manufacturers are raising prices far too much.

I think that kayak designers are going to eventually price themselves out of business. Maybe not; we'll see.

7. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
  8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I agree 100%! I dont know that they will put themselves out of business, but they do make the "fishing kayak" unattainable to what would be their primary customer...THE FISHERMAN! A large portion of kayak anglers, including myself, got into kayak fishing because it was a cheaper alternative to buying, and maintaining a boat.

9. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I know exactly what you mean there, that's the same reason I got into the yak scene. Low cost and easy.

10. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    I suppose that Hobie is aiming at the kayak owner who is looking to step it on up. There's nothing wrong with having a "Cadillac" option, but it was truly nice to have the mid-range alternatives, a step up from Pelican boats.

Now these (such as the Heritage Redfish, with absolutely no changes to the craft) have seen price inflation from the $600 to $900 range!

Oh well!

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It don't matter what interests you persue there will always be people that carry it beyond the inth degree and your level passion.

I ran across a strip built canoe site for a builder a few weeks ago.
    Evidently he is the god of strip builds and he builds the perfect strip builts.
    No flaws. It takes him about 1100 hours per boat.

His commission fee ranges from 10,000 to 25,000 dollars.
    That is just to say build me a boat.
    During the course of the build there will be 5 more payments spaced out.

The man has a waiting list. A long one.

Yakkers will spend money. The serious yakkers.
    There are 500 dollar yak paddles all over the internet and they wouldn't be there if people didn't want them. I ran across 300 dollar yak seats the other day.
    A 6000 dollar yak is nothing to the serious yakker.
    It's like spending 6000 for a fishing boat.

12. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Great thread!

I am also with the group that got into kayak fishing because of the low cost of getting out on the water! My first yak was an OK caper, got it for 500 bucks and landed some nice stripers in it! But then that got me hooked!

The Hobie Pro Angler is a very nice fishing machine. Not a true kayak but a great way to get on the water for still far cheaper than a 22 foot center console boat. It is also great for anglers who are heavier in weight, as is the case with my old boss who now owns one.

After owning several yaks, my favorite is till my wilderness systems ride 135. It is a all around great yak!

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think the price is the problem because anyone going for a pedal drive boat already rigged up for fishing does not care about the cost. The people that care about the cost buy a kayak they can afford and then they modify it for their own use. These are for people that fish out of kayaks as their main method of fishing and are as passionate about what they fish out of as fishing itself. You have to remember there are a LOT of kayak fisherman out there that CAN afford big boats and just prefer this method of fishing. I'm not sure catfishing has as many kayak advantages but the advantages of fishing out of a kayak for species like bass are far more then the cost of the boat. I have caught a lot of fish out of a lot of place I never would have without a kayak.

What I see as the problem is the weight. I just can't see how someone can move that thing around by themselves unless you live on a lake.

Aside from price and weight it would be one very nice boat to fish out of.

14. FLETCH

FLETCH Member

State:
    Villisca Iowa
    Name:
    Ron
    Wow Casey that is one sweet boat I really liked it thank's for sharing.

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A guy on another board was asking about rowboats the other day...I was about to refer him to whitehall skiffs, until I checked out their prices. Breathtaking.

I still want one.

16. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    my buddy has a manta ray it's a liq lodgic but same boat, it's one of the most comftable yaks around atleast thats my opion. if i ever get a new one this is it. now if only ocean kayak will put a seat on like the manta ray..lol

17. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    You are right there. I have checked out a couple of guys that do this; in fact, I have there books. Great for dreaming... :roll_eyes:

These strip-built kayaks are works of art. I would like to try my hand at building one someday, when I have the room, time, money, and patience. :big_smile:

You are certainly correct about die-hard yakkers, but I'm not sure that die-hard fishermen are die-hard kayakers, and vice versa. Most kayakers recoil at SOT "barges" as some bastardized monster of the sport (they have enough trouble accepting little river runners under the name kayak). It's not too unlike the attitude of cyclers toward Schwinn for making bicycles for Wal-Mart!

I do agree that those seriously looking in the direction of Hobie already have the green. Hobie certainly isn't scaling back on their product line--and they shouldn't. My concern is that there eventually won't be any good fishing kayaks out there reasonably priced for the entry-level kayaker/fisherman.

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Nice topic, thanks for starting it & all the replies.

I'm still in the dreaming stage of getting a kayak. A bit too much info on which one to choose. Too many choices, whether materials, style, design or brand, not to mention price.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It's like anything else.
    As the demand or interest increases the prices will go up.

My dad just bought a twin troller. New they are 2400 bucks.
    A year old he gave a 1000 for one.
    There isn't anything physically worth 2400 bucks about it but it's what they ask and they get for them. If they were 3000 bucks people would buy them. You would always have the clientele whos alley that boat ran right up and that clientele would pay for it if they wanted it.

20. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

The manta rays are nice, i have the 14.5. They are a pretty popular boat so you can find alot of them for sale too. watch www.paddleswap.com if your wanting to find a deal and dont mind a little drive.