The Ugly Dogfish!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, May 16, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    OK, Vic,
    You got me on this one! Yesterday I happened to look up Bowfin on the net.
    I couldn't believe it! There is a site for Bowfin. Just like the BOC, which is made up of Men, Women, and Children who basicly fish for Catfish. This site is made up of people who basicly fish for that Ulgy old Dogfish. Yes, there is even a spot for reciepes on there.
    The Dogfish,(Bowfin) is a very unique fish. You might what to look it up sometime.
    Sparky

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Recipe: Cedar plank Steamed Dogfish

Ingredients:

2 medium dogfish, filletted
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    1 tbsp salt
    half bottle of white wine or butter shots
    dash of apple cider vinegar
    red pepper to taste
    black pepper to taste
    12 lemon slices
    8 pats of butter
    one 18 inch 1x6 unstained cedar plank, soaked at least 24 hours in salt water

Take your plank out of the soaking bucket
    In a bowl mix all spices and salt and lay on bed on the cedar plank
    place fillets on top of the spice bed
    On top of the fillets use a toothpick to secure the lemon slices to the fish, 3 per fillet, then stab the butter pats onto two picks per fish.
    splash the fillets with cider vinegar and add a dash of salt an pepper to each one.

Cook over an open fire for 20 minutes or until the fish is golden brown

Drink your wine or butter shots while you wait for this to happen.

Then toss away the stupid fish and eat the plank.

hahahhahahaaaaaa

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    That is way too Funny!!!!!!!!!!
    Sparky

4. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I went to the site Sparky, and it was pretty informative. Makes me feel kind of special to catch America's toughest fighting fish in the last 150,000,000 years!!!:0a1: :0a1: :0a1:

Seriously though, I have always respected their ability to tear up your tackle. They are some mean puppies!!!(pun intended)

I'm going to start approaching them like everything else. If you get on the circle hook then you get the same treatment. I might have to start carrying some of those master angler certificates in my bag. :0a13: :0a13: :0a13:

Anybody ever had smoked dogfish?

5. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i catch alot of 15 to 20 pounders when they come up stream to spawn. you get em by a barricade and theyre up on shore and you take either a spear but i take a # 9 treble hook i think all i know is the treble hook is BIG! and they always pull my drag. very fun to catch and i always cut their heads off

6. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

The world record is 21 pounds and some change. Nobody would probably care if you broke it, but who cares about everybody's opinion? ROTFLOL!!! Supposedly their eggs make good caviar! Do some research and see if that last statement is true...:0a30:

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Ya, I tried to once, But gave up cause I couldn't keep it lit, LMAO!!!

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Thanks for the recipes Griz. I have eaten both buffalo, carp, and sucker...they were all delicious

10. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    We have places here in MN that hold annual Dogfish tourneys. The record here is 10 lbs 15 oz. I know its sad, but I want that record, and I want it bad!!! Then I'm going to mount that ugly thing and hang it right over my fireplace so I can sit and stare at it.

11. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well, thank you doctor "VIC" for sharring those healthy word of wisdom about Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acid. All this coming from a man that won't eat rare steak or over easy eggs. Man, You've been spending to much time reading and watching "TV", and not enough time fishing.
    All this healthy talk came under the Ulgy Dogfish thread, and you never mentioned how much fatty crap (good or Bad) Was in the Dogfish, Catfish, Walleye, Perch, or bluegill!
    Go down to your local butcher, get yourself a 1" ribeye steak. Put it on your grill till it's nice a rare. Take a couple of nice catfish filets, season them, roll them is some flour & cornmeal and cook them in hot oil til they are a nice golden brown. Then add a side dish of some fresh asparagus with a white cream sauce. At this point sit down and enjoy surf & turf up north Marlette style. Enjoy life Vic! Believe me it's too short, and you won't live forever.
    I know, my Daddy tried! He died at "79".

Sparky

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Stay tuned, it's coming. :big_smile_2: It was in the making even before I read this post. As a matter of fact, I want to thank you for shedding some light on some of these foods, because it has compelled me to look a little closer at some of the things I eat. I may start to eat beef again in large amounts instead of this chicken, fish, chicken, fish cycle that I've put myself in...

Now why would you even think that I'm not enjoying life? ROTFLOL!!! When I was in the Army I wasn't enjoying life to the full, but I'm having a blast now!

14. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Vic if you went to the same Dogfish website i think you went to i was a member there before i joined the BOC, those guys never did have any kind of get togethers or friendship like we do here. I enjoy catching them sometime. my cousin used to have a guide service for them but he had to stop because so many ppl were finding his secret spots and throwing trash in it.

15. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Bama, don't worry. I don't plan on joining the Brotherhood of Dogfishermen any time soon. ROTFLOL. Can you imagine some of the posts? I didn't bother to go to the forum because I pretty much classify them in the same category as largemouth bass as far as drawing my interest. If I catch one while fishing for catfish that's fine, but I'm not interested in learning all the proven techniques to catch them.

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I just had to post my "rough" fish photos so folks would know that I'm at least catching something in between posts! ROTFLOL!

Attached Files:

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey guys Ive been a regular on both sites mentioned earlier, "roughfish" and "GASSBAG" for a couple of years now. Under the same "Salmonid" trade name. Lots of good info and reports there as well as some whisker info but its mostly gar, bowfins, carps and sucker info.

Salmonid

18. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    hey salmoid i remember your name on GASSBAG gald to have you over here on teh BOC, yeah we have places down ehre whre you cant throw your hook in the water without getting into a bed of dogfish. they are good eating as long as you eat them while they are hot after they get cold they are like chewing cotton. :big_smile:

19. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Bama, how do you cook them? Did you check out the recipe a few posts back?

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Almost every time I fish one lake for cats, I get a bowfin, or grinnel as we call 'em down South. Great fun, but see no reason to kill them. Caught a 7 lb one last week, he still swims, hope to catch him again. On a slow day, a 5 minute fight with a grinnel makes up for everything. Besides, they were in the waters we fish many moons before a lot of other fishes we call sport fish. True natives.