The true college football question:

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by baitchunker, Oct 20, 2008.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    not to start a pig stick contest between all of the different conferences...

but i have to wonder. as a diehard Auburn fan (yes i know we are having a down year) and a strong supporter of the sec, are the south eastern conference schools truly that strong on defense? or are we actually that weak on offense?

what about the big 12? are they chalked full of big time quarterbacks and high power offense? or do they not have more than one decent defense in the conference?

what do yall think? please try to keep the crap 10 and pig 10 as well as the acc--eeya out of it. dont even think about bringing up the wac.

2. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    LSU fan here......I think it all changes a little year to year. I do believe the Big 12 is loaded with QB's at the present. The defenses in the SEC might be a little better overall but still havent seen a "Dominating D" like Saban had at LSU in 03. Im an LSU fan first, College football fan second. i love the SEC but this year the Big 12 may be better when you compare the top 4 from each conference. It does change year to year though.

3. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'd have to say a little of both is true, There's not as many spread offense's in the SEC, and pretty much everyone in the Big 12 runs one. These spreads can really test your defense, and it gives the qb's big numbers. I think the SEC is the more physical conference.

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    on offense it all starts at the qb position but if you dont have the recievers to catch and the rb's to put pressure on the d then you wont have a very good offense and as far as the big 12 d goes its not bad its just how can you stop offenses that can score 40-50 a game easily all you can do is try to slow them down and see what happens

5. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Is it just me, or is college football starting to look too much like arena ball, or flag football?

6. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Fortunatly I don't have to worry about all this stuff. My kid goes to Louisville and nobody is talking about the Big East:smile2:. But someone needs to start watching the big 12 real close

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    the no-huddle offense has taken hold in the big 12. it is very hard to defend against if there is talented players doing it. that is one of the reasons for the high scores so prevalent in the big 12. and that is heightened by having such talent at the QB position. yes the big 12 is loaded with qb talent.

8. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yeah, I think this no-huddle, spread has gotten out of control, I personally don't like it. I think this somehow contributes to bad defenses, because pretty much all the teams that run it have bad defenses. I'd say Florida has the best defense of all the spread offense teams. I'd say it's because they put just as much of their talent on defense as they do on offense.

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think that most SEC teams like to try and establish a run game and then throw with play action. When both teams run the ball a lot, the clock keeps running and there are less total plays in a game, so less points on average. The Big-12 has high scoring teams and good QB's, but they might pass 80% of the time in a game, which leads to more overall plays and more points on average. It does seem that the Big-12 has more great offenses and the SEC has more great defenses, but I think the style of play in each conference contributes to that somewhat. I still think the SEC is the best conference from top to bottom, but I'll admit I'm biased (GO DAWGS!) :big_smile:.

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas

i dont know if i'd go that far with the analogy however i will cede the point the media hype has grown substantially over the last decade- and thats not necessarily a bad thing. i remember the day i was lucky to get a college game on the tube on a saturday and maybe an SEC game once a year. the media hype, the screen time, the talking heads, now even its own cable channel... the rest of the world is starting to realize that BCS college ball is more "football" than the NFL can ever hope to be.... IMHO

11. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    GEAUX TIGERS

any of my fellow purple and gold brothers out here heard any scuttlebutt about less miles getting bought out and a fistful of dollars waved at spurrier after this joke of a season?

12. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hang tough Chad. We doing a little rebuilding this year. 04 was a tough year as well after the 03 championship. My expectations for this year were way less than our preseason ranking. I was figuring 3 or 4 losses. Not being negative, just keeping it real. Ive been watching and listening to LSU since Archie was at Ole Miss. We just dont wanna slip into the darkness of 1988-98. I know Dinardo had a couple years success during that time but it fell apart quickly. Dont wanna jinx the boy but Jarret Lee brings back memories of Jamie Howard.......LOL.

13. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I was referring to all this spread the ball and throw everywhere, basketball scores, and total lack of defense. I'd take a shutdown defense and a regular I-formation control the clock offense anyday. If you have a lot of talent then you should be able to score with any offensive style you choose to run. If you have a quality defense, then you'll always be in ballgames, even when the offense is struggling. When you look back on it there hasn't been many teams to win the title without a quality defense. I believe defense wins championships, but these high scoring flag football offense's get all the votes in the polls.

14. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:

Lee brings back memories of the wife telling me to calm down or she's going to change the channel. soon as the ball snaps on a pass play he locks his eyes on the spot the recvr is going to hit and doesnt waiver. methinks even my fat old butt could pick him off.

All satan's talent is gone, miles can't recruit. TWO ncaa titles in a few years and lee and hatch are the best qb's he could lure to tigertown?
    IMHO you cant factor in perriloux, he no more than a gangster thug and his departure should have been long ago and a given in planning for the future.
    unmotivated and undiciplined. Perhaps i wouldnt be so hard on them if we werent getting blown out. i think our two losses in particular are prime illustrations of the point Trevor is making and to which i do aggree to a point. all the offense in the world wont help you if you have no defense. which death valley is sadly without this year. our D has no cohesion, no leader, and i think the argument could be made that they have no talent either. steltz is gone... sad sad sad. i dont know how many times the other night i screamed, yelled.... "where is the god *(%&$* son of a ()&*(( mother of )&*(* safety?????"

ok, im getting mad all over again.

enough, tomorrow is another saturday, lets see if things improve.

15. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well at least the Tulane game isnt nationally televised so we cant hurt our eyes. Jordan Jefferson might get some playing time Saturday.

16. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i think it would help you lsu fans, as well as my auburn team if we didnt play each other so early in the season. we really beat the hell out of each other. i know yall aint as good as you have been in recent past. and auburn is definitely having a bad year (most likely a losing season) but when we square off we seem to kill each other physically. i get more pumped up about the lsu game than i do the alabama game.

17. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Losing a good defensive coordinator like Bo is hard to overcome, OU lost Mike Stoops to Arizona and we've struggled to put a quality defense on the field since, and OU has won only one bowl game since he left.