The TN state flowers are starting to show their colors.

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Cheryl, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The dark purple ones begin first. Sorry I haven't taken a picture of them. I guess they are so plentiful I overlook them. They started about a month ago, but now the other colors are coming out. Hope you enjoy them.
    The one titled Footloose was purchased in Roanoke VA a few years back.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    A few more, along with a broom bush pic and one of the daylily beds, that Swampy bred. Seedlings, I think he calls them. They bloom shortly after all the irises stop, so the walk in the garden is never boring.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The only problem with the irises this year is that there has been so much rain in the last 2 weeks that the stems are breaking before they can bloom. Too much saturation. I thought the animals around here were breaking them until one day I was observing some and one just broke and fell over. That means I may have to wait till next year to see every color I really have in the garden. I used to have a sky blue iris that I loved, but I think I killed it trying to uproot monkey grass. Oh well, live and learn. I will post more colors as they bloom, if anyone is interested in seeing them.

This is a maroon columbine flower. They spread and I love them. I have yellow, purple and what is called a blue. The maroon one is the only one blooming yet. Also the yellow wallflower is an awesome bushy type flower. The birds planted it for me and it took me several years to find any to know what they were called.

I am also including a pic of my red dogwood. Someone mentioned on the Dogwood winter post about grafting pink on white. My Father used to graft trees like that years ago. I never knew there was a red, only white and pink, until last year, when I found this red one. It is a deeper color than this picture but this one is fading and about to lose the flowers.

4. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Very nice Cheryl, I bet you got a bueatiful yard. :)

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Cheryl, you have a beautiful flower garden. I believe that believe that a person's ability to grow beautiful things is a direct reflection of the beauty in his/her heart.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    We'll be in TN June 26,27 so I hope to see a few flowers then. We'll ride out to Cades Cove one morning to see what we can see. I plan on coming home by crossing the Great Smokey Mt. Park or Cherohala Skyway either way we should see some pretty flowers such as yours.:big_smile:

7. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Beautiful flowers Cheryl! Thanks so much for sharing them with us all.
    Both Irises and Columbines are among my favorites.

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Those irises are just gorgeous! I love all the colors & frills. The only irises I have are the standard white, & some purple flag irises. In fact, once I dug up some of the purple ones & threw them to the edge of the yard; of course, they came up better than the ones I've tended, & their color changed to a different shade of purple! Really cool! I put some assorted in a bed years ago, but a "virus" in the soil killed them; just rotted the bulbs away. I've been too scared to try again, but I do have some red amaryllis,gladiolas & daylillies that do really good in that same bed. Think I should try again? Input? I appreciate any advice.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Barb,
    Thanks! I think my favorite of favorites :lol: might not come back this year. It is an almost royal blue delphinium. It is showing no sign yet, but I think it appears in about a week, if not gone. It is very hard to find and I have never seen another one. I'm sure I could order one via the net, but you never know what you are getting when you do that, unless you know their history. I will hopefully have more to post in the near future.

Roxie,
    Did you plant the whole crom in the ground? If so, that is probably what happened to them. You have to leave the top of the crom exposed to the air/sun/rain. Unless you like to weed them, plant them somewhere nothing else grows much, such as clay dirt if available and lots of sun. They like the weeds from around them. I learned this from a 93 year old woman I used to buy mine from a few years back. She religiously hoed hers' everyday! I bet she is still up there hoeing on Flower Place st. I need to go visit her. Thanks for bringing that to the front of my memory cells.

Martin, I enjoy it! Some days it seems it is my only solace.

Pat, Thanks, glad you enjoyed them. And thank you for the kind thought.

Thomas, If y'all come this way, you are welcome to tour my small flower garden and private forest out back.
    Of course, any of you are welcome, just make sure I'll be home, as in the past, they have called the police on some very dear friends of mine.

Take care.

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Cheryl, You know what? I think I did! Like I said, it was a long time ago. Maybe that's why those that are just "thrown about" do so well. I also got mine from a little 80 something year old lady in my hometown. As for soil, girl, I live in Louisiana. I have lots of clay...and lots of sunshine. Thanks, I may just try again!!Appreciate it so much.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

You are welcome, Roxie, hope it helps. I'd give you rep but have to wait. I'm not a patient person sometimes, but I'll learn, maybe. LOL. Hint....Hint......is anyone out there, listening? :embarassed:

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    One is white with an orange beard. One is white with a yellow beard.

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    More irises. Enjoy!

14. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Again, just beautiful! They must grow good for you because of your sweet spirit. I wish my amaryllis & dwarf glads weren't finished blooming, or I'd show them off. Guess I'll have to wait on my daylillies! Thanks Cheryl!

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    A couple of beautiful additions today.

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    A double or triple columbine for Barb. Hope you like it.

The second pic was taken at the Farmhouse Gallery farm. Lovely farm.

17. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    You have lovely flowers... I was born in tn...love the parkway this time
    of year...I'm a Yankee...but a volunteer in my heart.

18. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    OK, These aren't Tennessee flowers, but I just wanted you to see them. The orange lily was given to us in memory of my husband's sister, Dianne, who died last August. I was thrilled when it bloomed a few days ago!! Then, there's my "native La.Iris", or flag iris, as some call it. Then a shot of my rose. I only have the one big rose, plus a couple of old-fashioned climbers. Anyway, I hope you like them. I can't wait for my daylillies & hydrangea to bloom....very soon!!

Attached Files:

19. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hey Roxie! I love those! Thanks for sharing. I just purchased one of the orange Pixie lilies. (At least that's what the tag said...LOL) I got lucky and found one with 2 bulbs. Now have one in the iris bank bed and under the maple. The iris is beautiful! Also the rose. Too early, but near for the roses here! Irises are still popping colors here.
    Here are a few more.
    Take care.

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I love those; I think my favorite of the 3 is the purple/yellow. You must have a beautiful yard right now. Thanks for sharing!!