The taste of catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by J. Percy Priest, Nov 30, 2008.

1. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    Well most of the time when we catch fish straight from the lake and fry them up.. ( the fillets ) some of the pieces taste sort of like mud While other pieces taste really good. Is there something that you are suppose to miss when filleting a catfish to avoid that taste, my dad said carps have "mud veins" that you are suppose to cut around which is why we dont ever keep carp. do catfish have something similar?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Get rid of the dark meat. From there its flour,eggs and a good bread crumb then Grease. :wink:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    With a blue cat i either throw away the belly meat, or take fish skinners and make certain to get all the grey film from the insides. Also if they have much size to them i'll cut the mud vein out. If it's there, you'll see it. Runs right up the middle of the fillet. I usually soak my fish in salt water, then salt and season the fillets, roll em in YELLOW corn meal, and drop in hot grease. I want the grease HOT too. Cook until it floats and the bubbles become very small in the grease.Dang, now i wanna mess of fish.:wink:

4. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    ok great i will try this next time thanks for the help.:smile2:

5. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    As a catfish or any animal ages, the quality of the meat diminishes. Because of this I prefer not to keep any cats over 5 pounds.

6. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I always cut the red vein out of my filet's no matter what size they are. I also cut out any red meat and discard it. Plus I cut out any Yellow meat too, that stuff is nasty tasting.

Now with all that done, rinse the filet's several times in cold water and then pat close to dry. Add seasoning of your choice and it's ready for the cornmeal, I prefer the yellow kind.

Make sure the grease is Hot before dropping filet's in to it. As mention in a earlier post, wait till filet's float and bubbles in grease are small. Remove and add more filet's to grease. I choose to not put very many filet's in my grease at a time, as the grease tends to cool down a bit each time you add too many filet's at one time..