The Swiss Outlaw Catch and Release Angling

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bryan8552, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro

2. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Had to read it twice. What are they thiinking? Maybe they are trying to ban fishing altogether. I just can't imagine that a lot of thought went into this bill.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. I had read something similar that was going on in another country. Fishermen had to fish for a specific fish and keep all the catch, basically they only wanted fishermen to fish for food, not sport. It's just not a good idea and hopefully, there will be a few more people with a brain step in and get this kind of thing straightened out.

Thanks for the article Bryan.

4. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    What was the logic for making such a decision? I dont think I read anything about that? Did I miss something?

5. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for posting that. Wow!! That just floored me?! Don't make any since unless they have food shortage or something, but I kind of doubt that. I guess when the fish population starts down, they will rethink there decision.

6. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Ohhhhh this sucks sooooo bad. What in the holy heck are they trying to accomplish here? I don't get it. And what's with the no barbed hooks clause? Are you kidding me?

I am really scared now. I'm moving to Switzerland in 3 years when my girlfriend (at that time hopefully wife :wink:) will be going back home to get her master's degree. She explained to me that it was more complicated to get a fishing license back home, but this is going WAY too freaking far. Jeebus.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lots or ocean fisherman use barbless hooks. barbs do alot of added damage to fish in the soft tissue. as long as tention is kept on the line barbless hooks do just fine.

the rest of the law. in un sure of thus far.

theres a guide service on the red river in manatoba canada. and they love barbless hooks. i have a video of them catching countless huge channels and they even pinch the barb closed on reg hooks. because they do such less damage. if the intent is to release it. why cause further damage for infection?

but if there by law to be killed i dont understand. the idea of barbless hooks is ease in removel and less tissue damage. so i too am confused.

8. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Im just trying to figure out what damage the barbless hook will do to a fish that a blunt knock over the head wont?

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Manitoba actually requires barbless hooks. But yeah, it seems pointless in this case if they are requiring the fish to be killed.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Fishing for a lot of game fish requires barbless hooks but its designed to do less damage to fish that are going to be released, and fish that get off the hook. As for having a barbless hook rule for fish that have to be kept, that doesnt make any sense to me at all. I'm glad I live in NC.

11. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    They're saying that the reason for the law is..... Fish suffer undue stress and pain when caught and released, so you should kill them immediately upon catching them. My guess would be that the use of barbless hooks is to prevent causing pain to the fish when removing the hook, just before busting him in the head with the club. It's my understanding that barbless hooks have beeen mandatory in The UK for some time now, and that many anglers put antibiotics on the hook wound just before releasing them.

Switzerland is a very old country. They're much farther along developmentally, as a country, than we are here in the US. But, rest assured that we're headed their way, on a straight course.

Check this:

http://www.fishinghurts.com/

12. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I question how much feeling a fish has in its mouth, and stomach for that matter, fish eat fish and fish have fins and barbs and all sorts of sharp spiney parts that can that can get you if you don't handle them correctly.

Now think of coming up behind a bluegill and sucking it into your mouth and bitting down, just thinking about it is painful and fish do it everyday of their lives.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've seen that website before Bryan and it makes me sick. These people just don't think rationally and unfortunately they have a lot of money, time, and people power and they are growing interest around the world. They just don't understand that it's the way nature works. Maybe they should go to Africa and try to convince a lion to eat leaves b/c the hurt the animals they consume, it won't work. I just can't understand how these people rationalize their views. Hopefully, we can keep this kind of stuff under wraps or else we'll all be eating tofu and bathing in dirt.

14. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    it's them darn juggers!!!

no, I'm kidding. couldnt resist. I love you juggers....not you cobra but everybody else

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

that link is why i get so frustrated with folks on here sometimes. preserving the sport is one thing. fighting amongst ourselves is another.

organizations out there would love to see our entier sport, aka jugs, rods and reels, trotlines, clubs, dynomite, ect all be abolished. and even to the point of stopping me from raising and eating domestic rabbits. weather we like one anothers ways or not. anglers need to bind togather.

what would we all think if catfish tunned into a 1 fish limit and it must be killed immed apon retrieval, "in a humane fashion other wise youll be punished by law" and you then must immed stop fishing for catfish. that would suck lol.

JMO but anglers are under fire from all sorts of animal activists in washington. yet we fire at eachother. thats the first step in loosing angeling rights.

thankd for the reminder bryan.

16. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    could you imagin pulling in a 30lb catfish and striking it with a club? hahaha. it would look like ultimate fighting. wap- wap, pow clunk clunk, smack we would have to take high powered rifles to take them out. I use to drive a nail through small channels head and nail them to a board so I could clean them...they still lived a long time. I cant picture that as humane and not nearly as painless as letting them go.

17. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    About 10-12 years ago, me and some friends took several guided catfishing trips at Santee-Cooper. Every time we caught a catfish, he would net it, put it in the boat and hit it in the head w/ a fish billy. He showed us exactly how to do it. If you hit them in the right spot, their mouth flies open and they never wiggle again. Size didn't seem to matter a lot. I've seen those things for sale all my life but he's the only person I've ever seen use one. Even when offshore fishing, the mate always just throws the fish in the box. I understand that they use them religiously for cobia because they're so dangerous in the boat.

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Those silly Swiss!! :roll_eyes:

Trust me, look at our president and you will see we are a long way from the liberal attitudes of Switzerland.

19. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc

"Trust me, look at our president and you will see we are a long way from the liberal attitudes of Switzerland"

The up and coming one will be much closer regardless of who wins.