the sunfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 2, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok, can i get a list of all the sunfish bluegill rockbass perch, i think we got at least ten differant kinds in illinois, i like the ones i call warmouths, or rockbass they are green a little smaller and thicker with a blue line around the mouth. seems the yellow sunfish die the qwikestonon the hook the , i recomend, the bigger warmouth or rock bass, with the line, or actal bluegill,

2. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think that green sunfish are the toughest bait next to bullheads, that anyone can get around here. I have never fished with suckers though, I hear they are pretty tough too. I caught 25 greenies tonight for tomorrow and they are mean little bastards. I'll post a pic of what they are tomorrow, I think that we are talking about the same fish.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    are they like a smallmouth bass with a broken line around there gills and mouth thats blue, not as flat as the others?

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep the green sunfish are what i was calling rockbass warmouth, them are the best, they reqwire less oxagen and are like a bullhead

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well the only others you can tell are tru bluegilol, the rest are crossbread thats why they all are differant collers, but greensunfish are not hard to tell apart fromk other vsunfish

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  7. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    1000 miles away in cali on the colorado we have the gils but we have a fish called tilapiia, looks like a ciclid sharpspines but tough as all hell
    had on on for over six hours in strong current and he wasnt even phased wich is th e case with these guys, the y r easy to catch and school up in the hundreds if u get on a good hole,the go on a frenzy and before your hook hits the water its bit
    not uncommom to catch 20-30 tilapia in 15 mins
    just they run up to 2 lbs but 3 to 10 in fish are commongood little baits and hearty
    little info from the left coast

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Those pumpkinseeds die if you look at em funny. I love using them for bait, but damn keeping them alive when it's 120 outside is like trying to catch them with your hands under water with your eyes blindfolded.. The green sunfish are sturdier but Brian is right.. you can just throw the talapia up on the bank and pick them up when your done catching them, they live through anything.

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    grilled tilapia mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep thanks for that page, i like the redbrest sunfish and the greensunfish, we dont have rockbass or warmouth here, i thought the actul bluegil were the redbreasted subfish, looks like i was wrong

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You should try those 2LB red ear sunfish.

12. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I eat those!

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    In my opinion, talapia are some of the toughest little fish I can find for bait! They are way more hardy than bluegill and way less shy! While catching fish for bait, I have actually watched the tilapia chase a bluegill off from my worm and then follow it right back in to the boat before biting even with me right there at the water surface! They are illiegal to usae for bait in some states but perfectly legal in my area as long as I dont take them from one body of water to another...

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In Kentucky, we cant use the rock bass. It is listed as a sportfish. The only sportfish we can use is the red ear sunfish (shell crackers). I use whatever happens to be lively in the live well we set up on the bank. I really like a great big ole Bluegill or a small Bullhead.

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I luv to use green sunfish and punkinseed , the punkinseed die if not well taken care of, Some of the toughest sunfish I have ever seen and luv to get is the greensunfish/bluegill hybrids that the fish farms sell to stock ponds, they are commen in our creeks due to ponds overflowing but make awsome bait and are tough as green sunfish but 2 times more lively on a hook.

16. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama

i have a stock pond with copper nose blue gill. Never thought they would be any tougher than the ones i catch in the river. Thanks for the Info. Im going to give them a try cause they are a heck of alot easier to catch in the pond than they are in the river.

Warmouth are what we call goggle eye down here im going to give them a try as well. They are look kind of like a small bass and have red eyes. It makes sense that they would live longer as they seem to be tougher than what we call sun fish.

Can someone tell me what a bullhead is? Every where ya go folks call the same fish 10 different names and I have to see if we have any down here.

I sure need to find something that can take the heat. Almost everything is dying in the live well as the mercury gets over a 100F almost every day.

Thanks guys.

17. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    A Bullhead is a Catfish here is a link to a pic

http://www.lamokawaneta.com/catfish.jpg

18. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks brother.

I had a few in the live well last night but wasn't sure that yall call them the same thing.

I have never tried to catch a cat fish with them but was thinking about giving it a try after reading a few threads. Whats the best way to hook them? Would think a mouth hook but I open to suggestions as i have never used them for bait.We usually just chuck them back.

Thanks again

Chad

19. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I normally hook them behind the dorsal fin on in the tail above or below the lateral line never in the middle as they will bleed might be good to bleed a little but I have them die rather quickly hooked that way. Look at the pic to see the lateral line you might not be able to see it on a live one so just believe me it's there. Hope this helps.

20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    dont use bullheads unless your out of sunfish, i like them as a back up bait, 4 will last all night, but i never use them but a few times got no runs on them