The summer cold front

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Aug 20, 2009.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    It looks like were getting a summer cold front. We all know a spring cold front will shut them down or at least slow them down. Whats you guys experience on the summer cold front, same as spring? Cold front does not matter in the summer ect?

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have found a summer front is not near as bad as a winter one. If the front stays for a while, it will move the fish to shallower water, but doesn't turn the bite off like a spring cold front.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A lot of times before it gets there they will feed heavily.. Were in for a stormy pattern down south for today and tonight..:sad2: I wish it would lighten up so I could fish later..

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I hope the rain holds off for the next few days so the ground isn't too muddy for getting my food plots in. Was hoping to make it to the river one day as well, but it's coming up fast! :angry:

5. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Patrick did you see the pics of the fish I caught the other night in the Classic thread? Thats usually what happens when you fish ahead of the front its even better when the cold front is a slow mover and there is low pressure pushing up from the south. Top side of a low and the front side of cold front don't forget. When high pressure moves in after the front moves through the bite will usually shut down unless you know exactly were old mr. blue cat lives then you can drop your bait right between his eyeballs and try to pi$$ him off a little. Hope his helps a little?

6. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
  7. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Justin, I cannot find it do you have a link to those pic's?

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Justina post is words of wisdom for those who to choose to heed it! Great Post

9. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I'll let you all know Sunday, I'll be out tomorrow and Sat. Hope this thing does't stall over my head. Light north winds cool temps. But it'll be fun just being there.

10. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri

thats a hell of a fish. its a shame he didnt get it on rod and reel, could you imagine the fight that might have been. a pole breaker for sure, but what a way for a pole to go!

11. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I would of loved to have that big fat thing on the end of my pole. I would of realed him in like he was a bluegil :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::

12. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Summer cold fronts are worse on the fish than spring cold fronts. That's my opion.

13. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Could you explain why cooler temps would cause fish to move to shallower water? Is it because it lowers the water temp at depth as well, so they move to shallower water to stay in the same temperature range?

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Rich, I believe the general thought is that the shallow water warms faster than the deeper water due to the sun's warming, which draws in and congregates baitfish, and right behind them the kittens. I was never a fan of shallow water catfishing until Steve Brown of Catfish Safari made a real quick believer out of me. We caught fish in 8 inches of water!! I would have never believed it had I not been there to see it. They absolutely hammer the rods, and then they scream for deeper water. You'll see me looking in the shallows alot more every spring for sure.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  15. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    It not only warms faster but has more oxygen when the water is cold.

16. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The bait fish and oxygenation explanations make a lot of sense. Thanks, guys.

17. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Inclusive in what Nanner has said here. A front like this also includes a high barometric pressure. The fish have to operate there bladder floating system with water and air pressure. So when the air pressure is high, if they move to shollow water the water pressure will be less. Makes it easier for them to get around. Kinda' like Nanner goin' up and down in a Plane.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  18. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    when i was trying to understand barometric preassure this article helped me a great deal. i did not post all of it, as it is a bit wordy. but this sums it up well, in a way that is easy to understand.

As a general guideline, think of 30 inHg (1016 millibar) as being a normal level. World records vary from a high pressure of 32.0 inHg in Siberia to 25.7 inHg during a typhoon (both readings are off the scale of most barometers). For the US, extreme levels can be considered as 30.5 inHg and 28.5 inHg. When it comes to fishing, a change of just +/- 0.02 inHg from normal is enough to effect their feeding habits.
    It is important, however, to note that the effects of barometric pressure is greater in fresh and shallow waters, than it is in deeper waters. This is probably due to the fact that the pressure of water is so much greater in deeper waters making the air pressure above it no longer having any significance.

19. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    :confused2:yall lost me now

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Pour a cup of hot coffee.
    Did you know you can pour enough to actually rise up a tiny bit over the top of the cup. It is because of because of surface tension of liquids that this occurs.
    Hot coffee creates some pressure under the surface. When the barometric pressure is low, that pressure under the surface will contract, causing the surface to become convex or lower in the center of the cup. Any bubbles on the surface, will move to the outside edge of the cup. When the barometric pressure is high, the pressure under the surface will expand, causing the surface to become concave and the bubbles will move to the center of the cup.

Class dismissed.