the streak was almost over

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Sep 16, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Almost:angry:

I put fresh 25-lb test big game line on my reels today, went and got some shad and headed to the river.

I baited up the first one with a big shd head and casted out...As I was rigging my second rod up I glanced up at my first rod, and saw it bounce, I thought what the hell???? I am getting a hit!..I tightline with circle hooks, and use very sturdy rod holders, all of a sudden the rod went down hard. yippie:smile2:

I took the rod out of the holder and pulled back and felt the weight of a big fish, I losened my drag a little and the fish took about 10 yds of line, then my line went slack..

You got to be kidding me!!!!:angry:

I thought I had tied a bad knot, I reeled in and my line had broke 3 inches above the hook:angry:

I have never had my line break in 30 years of flathead fishing because I change my line out every 2 trips.

Well back after them again tomorrow:smile2:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Way to go Jack. I knew you wouldnt give it up! Just the little I know you and have read your posts and going through your old website I knew you loved them Flatheads way to much! I hope to see a good report Friday morning when i get home from work! Good luck bro!

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That right there should be reason enough to stop fishing the pay ponds. Your better than that! If you dont go to those places they loose money and if their business is not making money they wont come and line/net the Flatheads out of your spot(s)! :0a26:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was only thinking of going to a pay pond, have not done it yet.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good! Don't even think it. No thought, no temptation.

Look at things this way: Your able to fish in a relaxing means minutes from your house. Most of the guys down my way have to drive an hour or two and then it's either from a boat or a hard as heck spot to get to. Your still lucky, just having a hard time. I know you'll get out of it, you always do.
    :0a23:

6. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    That happened to me 2 weeks ago:angry:!!
    Swung my fist and stomped my feet I was so mad!!
    But I made up for it Sat. night!!
    Welcome to the club!!

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    good to hear you that hooked one even tho you didnt get him on the bank been a long summer for me also with no fish till last sunday nite if i hadnt done no good then i was going to quit also but since i got one sunday i think ill try it again this weekend

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    more good big fish mojo and some good line mojo being sent to ya Jack. that 60+ is aching to test your new net out for ya. its gonna happen soon i can feel it my friend.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mellon is gonna fish with me saturday, that will set this curse back at least ten years:smile2:

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    now you have a net man so you don't hurt your back hauling that 60+ out of the water. :wink:

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Man,your DUE to catch a good break!:wink:

12. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I hate when that happens:embarassed::crazy::angry:

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I can't imagine that thought running through your mind.:wink::smile2::smile2: Sorrry to hear your line broke.:sad2:

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    See, things are changing for the good already.

15. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    mellon is going to this weekend???? That should be a trip of a lifetime, im expecting a state record:wink: good luck guys

16. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    good luck

17. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't bother catching that 50lb Flattie out of a pay pond and having it fight like a 9lb Flattie out of the river is not going to get you any happier.