The streak is over!!! Finally!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, May 22, 2007.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    A buddy of mine and I went out on Sunday night and were getting some really really good hits, problem was we just couldn't seem to get any hooked! I was able to hook into one, I had a live 7-8 inch shad on the hook and was fishing near a sunken barge. I noticed that the tip of the pole was fluttering and I just figured that the bait was swimming around. About a minute later the bait clicker started screaming!!!! I grabbed the pole and then set the hook!! The fight was on!! As I was fighting this fish I told my buddy that it had to be a good one, I told him it felt like I was hooked onto the back end of a Honda! I was fighting this fish for no more than a minute when he suddenly made a dash for what I believed to be under the sunken barge and suddenly he was gone!:crazy::crazy::crazy: My line had been cut and I believe that I lost a new Personal Best, I felt like crying at that moment, I am man enough to admit that:embarassed::embarassed: That was the first time all year that I had fought anything other than those little drum and he was gone!

So last night my buddy called me at around 830 pm and we were talking about the night before. Then he mentioned that we should be out there right now and I said "well why aren't we?" And with that he came over to my place, we loaded the boat and headed to the river. We finally were on the river around 930 and caught enough bait in two throws of the throw net, then headed back to that hole. By 1045 we had a 16 pounder in the boat, shortly after that we had a 14 pounder and then another 15 pounder, not to mention all the fish that we didn't get hooked!!! But by 1150 it was as if someone flipped the switch and the bite completely stopped!!! Never the less, I was very pleased and relieved that the DROUGHT finally came to an end!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Congratulations.

It is tough to keep on fishing sometimes when you have nothing going your way. I fished all last week and from tuesday-sunday I caught 2 gar and a little blue(less than a pound) but last night caught a nice 5-6 lb blue and had some good bites.

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    great post and story. GLad to hear that the fishing is just beginning for you. Hope that the rest of the nights are filled with double digiters!!

4. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Im sure youll let us know if you hook and land that barge dwellin beast :0a23:

sounds like it was 2 pretty good nights though

5. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Glad to hear of a good experience from one who has been having a rough time this year -- I'll keep at it and hopefully soon I'll be posting a success story, too! Thanks for sharing and keep it up!

6. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Loosing a good hard runnner hurts, but big value for both of you toward future efforts though.
    Sounds like you guys are on to them. Definitly addictive and why we "endure" :cool2:.

Were you bait hooking near the head (not the tail end) with proper size hook?

Good fishing!

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I hooked the bait near the dorsel fin with a 10/0 Cat Maxx J-hook. I've been playing around with hook placement on the bait fish to find where / which has better hook percentage.

8. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like a good way to brake the curse! It can only be a down hill run from here!!!

9. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Good job River Rat. The bite is on!

Hopefully we will hear about a few more of those big fish nights in your future posts (and.. um... maybe we will hear your GPS Coordinates for that sunken barge???? Ha.... just kidding... um, kinda...

Seriously, Congrats on the skunk breaker.

CP

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great job Rat. Told ya to be patient. LOL. They didnt quit biting on you, they just moved. Probably up to the shallows to feed on the shad you found so abundant. Nice work....

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Good Job Bill,:lol: Believe me, .. I know what you were going through!! Patience has paid off!!:cool2:

12. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Hip Hip...

Sounds fun, now I just need to get over my drought! :crazy::crazy:

It is coming though, I can feel it!!

13. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great job river rat!May more fish come your way.

14. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    that sounded like one good trip save some for me will ya......lol

15. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rat,
    We took out about the time you got there. We must of just missed you. And the bigger fish, All we caught were dinks. We had one good fish hooked but when it went to rolling it came unhooked. No sure what happened there. That don't happend very often. But anyway sounds like you all had a better trip than we did. At least the fish are starting to turn on.
    :0a23: