The Strangest Thing You've Seen while Catfishin'

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Owl, May 20, 2009.

1. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    Well, I guess I'll start and go ahead and ruin my reputation here right off the bat. :smile2:

I was 20 or 21 years old and fishing a local lake with some apartments around it in my hometown of W.R. GA. I'd fished there several times that summer - always at night, and always until morning. I was fishing with chicken livers in an area of the lake where I could see two small islands about 50 yards in front of me. That night, I got a channel cat that was my PB of about 9 lbs and had him in the cooler.

As morning came( here's where it gets strange!), it was a little foggy, but I could still clearly see the island...and I see this...well guys...it was a "hump" moving across the surface. Remember, this was about 50 yards from me, I have perfect vision and I can clearly see this large, turtle-like hump moving about 2mph across the lake. Only, it's way up out of the water - it's no turtle. It has no head up front - not a deer. A giant hostess cupcake maybe? I rub my sleepy eyes and blink them alot and look again...and it's still there.

Well, it's heading for the island closest to me, and I think - ok, when this thing gets to the island, it will crawl out on land and I'll get to see what it is. . . . .

When it gets to the island, the "hump" tilts forward, and in the same motion goes down, water gurgling all around it and two.....

now, I know about now you think I'm nuts. And you probably think this story isn't going to be able to get any stranger, but trust me, it's about to get totally sci-fi X-files weird...

so, water was gurgling, the hump tilts forward, and in the back two large "fins" raise up out of the water and follow the tilting hump as it submerges not two feet from the island.

I stood there for about 5 minutes watching where it went down. Then, I gathered up my gear, my rod, the cooler with the cat in it, and went to the truck. I cranked up the truck, locked the doors, drove slowly out of the apartment complex and never, EVER fished there again at night.

True story. I couldn't make up anything better if I tried.

So, what's the strangest thing you've seen/heard/experienced while catfishin'?

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Sounds to me like you should of put the biggest hook you had through that 9 lb channel cats back and fished with it.....You might have got a closer look!!!

IMHO....It was a hostess cupcake :smile2: Great story reps to ya!

3. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Man I want to go fishing with you!:smile2:

4. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    What was ya smoken that night...LOL

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Beaver. :smile2: LOL

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    CHUPACABRA!!! SSWWWWIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!:0a20: :eek:oooh::big_smile:

7. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Did'nt think about Chupacabra's. :0a6:

8. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Hey Jeff, did it look like this?

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Stop bogartin the joint. Pass it around. LOL!

10. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Still thinking about the ZZ Top concert are ya'? :big_smile: LOL

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

I can only wish. Random testin ya know. LOL!:cool2:

12. BFrith

BFrith New Member

State:
    Beulah, Alabama
    Hey Owl,
    Let's go get it!

13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    That looks like my ex-wife after I came in from a hard night drinking:crazy:

14. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    If she looked that rough when you were drunk, she must have really looked rough when you were sober:eek:oooh:

15. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Sounds like a 2 bagger to me...LMAO

16. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    Awwwww, I new better than to share that story with a bunch of whisker-lovers. :) LOL

It's true. Every word. Had I been smokin' sumthin' it'd have been easier to explain to my brain, that's for sure!

So, no one's seen anything strange out there in the dark of night? Floating heads(turned out to be a jug fisherman's jug that had algae on it)? Ghost pilings that disappeared as you got near 'em? A cove full of snakes?

Geesh, I had a stranger childhood than I thought!:confused2::smile2:

17. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    that looks like my ex-wife after I woke up from a hard night drinking.

18. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    I thought i would revive this thread with my experince today.

Went out to a family members pond to catch some bass and maybe some big gills for this weekend. Keep in mind this pond is only a little over an acre and I'm in Indiana. While standing on the dam after about five min. I noticed what i thought was a large snapper surface. All i could see was it's head and it was about the size of my hand. I decided to get a closer look and see if i could catch it cause my uncle wants them out and my brother eats snappers.

Well as i walked down the dam it started swimming out towards the center of the pond. This is where it gets weird. It was swimming like a snake and was about two, two and a half feet long. Then i got a good look at it. It was a damn alligator!!!:crazy: I started to freak out because i've been sober for just over a year and knew i wasn't seeing things. I instantly went and found my uncle to tell him. I guess the kid that lives behind him had it as a pet and lost it about two weeks ago. I asked my uncle what he was going to do about and all he could say was " i kinda like him". I guess my favorite bait and bass hole is now the place i'll go fishing. atleast until he removes it.

I just had to tell you guys and gals becuase it scared the crap outta me.

19. Jasongonefishing

Jasongonefishing New Member

State:
    McDonough,
    Got to watch it out there. People get pets and then don't want them anymore so they let them go. I have heard stories of people seeing nile monitors in florida, and other stories of big snakes like reticulating pythons and burmise pythons found swimming in lakes.

20. BAMAJUGGER

BAMAJUGGER New Member

State:
    mccalla,alabama
    well i was fishing on an island a few years ago in w.r. georgia out in the middle of a lake.there was this guy on the bank across the lake from me,he looked like he had just caught a channel cat.he threw it in the cooler and was still fishing.well it got really foggy and i was drunk and bored so i took a swim.i got to swimming toward the man on the island,i was gonna offer him a beer.well i was swimming along at about 2mph and as soon as i got close enough to see him,he screamed like a girl,grabbed his cooler and ran through some apartments and i never saw him again.i guess i may have seen bigfoot that night,i have not been back there to this day.lol