The stink is still on....as far as I'm concerned

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Sep 27, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Fished the mississippi last night -- 7 holes ranging from 12 to 50 feet deep, goldeneyes, shad and carp were the baits. Not a single pull down or slam.......just some peckerhead drum, 2 of which we caught. Spent 20-25 minutes per hole and tried a variety of structures. I think the bottom line is that I just ain't on 'em.

2. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gary and I are going out in the morning. I think the key will be to have Nanner rolaids with ya and a selection of baits. We will have to see how it goes.

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Good luck, Vince. I'm ready for a positive report to send my buddies. Just when I thought I was on them.........things changed. Blue cats have been a very humbling species to target -- more than I could have ever imagined. Back to the drawing board to get more data points. I suppose that's what makes it so rewarding when that old rod doubles over with a potential "nessie" on the other end.

On another subject, I was scoping fish in only a few locations last night. I have total confidence in my electronics, on lakes.......but what I'm scoping on the Mississippi is still debatable with all of the other species in there (i.e. carp, gar, drum, shad, etc.) I've seen on boards before where folks post screenshots before as to what they are seeing. I wish I would have taken a few pics as I seen nice arches a few feet off the bottom here and there, but am not confident they were blues. I'll make sure to post a few pics for debate next time.

I have attached a screenshot of my latest striper trip on my home lake in Tennessee to show you what I'm talking about. Basically, we cruise the flats looking for this. And when we find it, it's pay dirt, ultimately resulting in ecstasy. It's stripers going "apey" in big schools of shad. Caught 5 in about 30 minutes. As a bench mark, usually the screen is blank. A bit off the subject, but interesting nevertheless.

Attached Files: